What will happen with Obamacare? TEH POLL

Started by Kleves, June 16, 2012, 09:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the USSC do with Obamacare, and what should they do?

Will be found unconstitutional, as it should be
3 (13.6%)
Will be found unconstitutional, but it should be constitutional
9 (40.9%)
Will be found constitutional, as it should be
5 (22.7%)
Will be found constitutional, but it should be unconstitutional
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Kleves

With the Supreme Court decision coming down as soon as next week, I am curious how Languish thinks things will end up playing out.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Sheilbh

I think it will be found constitutional, but on the arguments I've read I'm not sure that it should be.

Given that it's so close have the betting odds moved?  I think Yi and AR were watching that.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

I believe that parts will be found constitutional, and parts will be found unconstitutional. In particular, the requirement that everyone must have insurance will be struck down, but I think the rest will be upheld.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on June 16, 2012, 10:58:44 AM
In particular, the requirement that everyone must have insurance will be struck down, but I think the rest will be upheld.

That would be the clever way to do it, since striking down the mandate makes the rest of the act collapse anyway.  I'm not sure the right-wing Supremes are that clever, though. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

The Supreme Court will rule that healthcare is not a right, just like they've ruled that other things that make sense for the world's most advanced and affluent society, like public education, aren't rights, either.

Shot in the ass, 5-4.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 16, 2012, 01:32:15 PM
The Supreme Court will rule that healthcare is not a right...

I don't think anyone is arguing that "health care is a right," so I doubt they will address that issue at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2012, 01:49:10 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing that "health care is a right," so I doubt they will address that issue at all.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2012, 01:49:10 PM

They'll mention it, e.g., "healthcare is not a right", or some such.  That's what they do.

mongers

Quote from: Kleves on June 16, 2012, 09:27:24 AM
With the Supreme Court decision coming down as soon as next week, I am curious how Languish thinks things will end up playing out.

America declines still further ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I don't even care at this point. Regardless of which way it goes they will find a way to make sure we all get max pain from it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers