Israel to put 50,000 Africans in detention camps

Started by jimmy olsen, June 15, 2012, 12:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 09:24:24 AM
To my mind, aside from the minsiter's appalling racism, this isn't much of a story.

Unfortunately, I can't agree.  Israel is a signatory to refugee conventions and is obligated to address asylum issues on a case-by-case basis; not toss out entire national groups based on a single court ruling.  This is kangaroo justice from a country where the courts are the last bastion of a fraying liberal democracy.  And setting up mass deportation camps - WTF?  The entire Israeli cabinet should be forced watch Exodus over and over until they manage to remove the collective heads from their collective rectums. 

Paul Newman can serve the popcorn.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Scipio

Wow.  That is fucked up.

Thank God I live in the Jewish homeland.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2012, 05:05:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 09:24:24 AM
To my mind, aside from the minsiter's appalling racism, this isn't much of a story.

Unfortunately, I can't agree.  Israel is a signatory to refugee conventions and is obligated to address asylum issues on a case-by-case basis; not toss out entire national groups based on a single court ruling.  This is kangaroo justice from a country where the courts are the last bastion of a fraying liberal democracy.  And setting up mass deportation camps - WTF?  The entire Israeli cabinet should be forced watch Exodus over and over until they manage to remove the collective heads from their collective rectums. 

Paul Newman can serve the popcorn.

Perhaps there is more to the story than in the news cited in the OP, but it sounds like the court has ruled that some thousand or so persons are not "refugees". The Minister claims to want to deport more, but that the courts are preventing him.

Maybe the court ruling is unjust - I dunno, given I have not read it.

Sounds in other words like the system is more or less functioning. The courts are preventing the minister from deporting whom he would, while stating that others are not refugees. 

As for setting up mass deportation camps, once the legal decision is made to deport someone, how is a camp worse than any other jail or detention? 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2012, 07:33:25 AM
lol

That would be the absolute only reason to get hitched with an ethnic chick, like a Latino:  bitch gotta be able to cook.

White girls are for squares.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Scipio on June 15, 2012, 07:02:42 PM
Thank God I live in the Jewish homeland.

The community of practicing lawyers? :hmm:
Experience bij!

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt