Israel to put 50,000 Africans in detention camps

Started by jimmy olsen, June 15, 2012, 12:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2012, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 09:24:24 AM

To my mind, aside from the minsiter's appalling racism, this isn't much of a story.
Eritrea is a totalitarian nightmare of epic proportions. It would be more human to actually keep them in an Israel prison camp.

Eritrea is, by all accounts, a horrible place, like many such in Africa. Unfortunately, Israel is rather small; this tiny country is already contested between the existing population and Palestinians, and is quite unable to handle absorbing the entire population of those suffering horrible conditions in Africa - the more fortunate and enterprising of which would soon arive on the Israeli doorstep if it was known that they were *not* being deported. See any other first-world nations within walking distance?

It would obviously be more humane to ship them somewhere where they could live in peace and that has room for them, like America. How likely is that, though?

Or perhaps Israel could put them in "settlements" on the West Bank? I'm sure that would go down a treat with world opinion.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 10:41:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2012, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 09:24:24 AM

To my mind, aside from the minsiter's appalling racism, this isn't much of a story.
Eritrea is a totalitarian nightmare of epic proportions. It would be more human to actually keep them in an Israel prison camp.

Eritrea is, by all accounts, a horrible place, like many such in Africa. Unfortunately, Israel is rather small; this tiny country is already contested between the existing population and Palestinians, and is quite unable to handle absorbing the entire population of those suffering horrible conditions in Africa - the more fortunate and enterprising of which would soon arive on the Israeli doorstep if it was known that they were *not* being deported. See any other first-world nations within walking distance?

It would obviously be more humane to ship them somewhere where they could live in peace and that has room for them, like America. How likely is that, though?

Or perhaps Israel could put them in "settlements" on the West Bank? I'm sure that would go down a treat with world opinion.  ;)

Would you class the Palestinians as 'the' or 'an' existing population or maybe just a few steps up from these African economic migrants ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on June 15, 2012, 10:49:10 AM

Would you class the Palestinians as 'the' or 'an' existing population or maybe just a few steps up from these African economic migrants ?

Read my previous post - #25 in this thread, in response to the question of why Israel doesn't treat the Palestinians like these Africans.

QuoteIsrael doesn't deport their Palestinian population for the very good reason that the Palestinians in Israel are not illegal immigrants, but citizens. The Jewsh Israelis may not get along with them, there pay be all sorts of communial tensions, but they are not similarly situated. If Israel started to deport Palestinians it would cause a lot more outrage than deporting illegal immigrants from Africa, which is something every country in the world would also do.

Does that answer the question?

The "existing population and Palestinans" quote you bolded was obviously referring to the issues between the Jewish Israelis and the Palestinians (the latter including *all* Palestinians, not just those who are citizens of Israel, but those in Gaza and the WB or in various other ME countries) as to whether Jews should be allowed to live there, should "Palestinians" ever get the upper hand in military terms. We know how the Jewish Israelis handle the situation, as it is the situation right now - Palestinians within Israel are citizens, legally equal albeit suffering some communial discrimination.

Sheesh, I forgot that any mention of these subjects must be accompanied by an essay, or someone will take offense!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

I would have no problem with it.  :sleep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

I'd draft them into a new Israeli légion étrangère and train them in engineering and construction.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2012, 11:17:52 AM
I would have no problem with it.  :sleep:
That's because you don't think things through.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Settle them in camps in the occupied east? Where have I head that before?  :hmm:

That would be an actual breach of the Geneva Convention usually used to falsely declare settlements illegal

Quote"the Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 15, 2012, 11:20:19 AM
I'd draft them into a new Israeli légion étrangère and train them in engineering and construction.

Put 5 thousand of them through IDF basic training, give them some surplus equipment and send them home asking them to send a post card when they have overthrown the government. From that point on all third world shitholes will cooperate in repatriating refused asylum seekers.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2012, 02:47:18 PM

Settle them in camps in the occupied east? Where have I head that before?  :hmm:

That would be an actual breach of the Geneva Convention usually used to falsely declare settlements illegal

Quote"the Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies".

The beauty of the scheme is that it would not be a breach of the text you have quoted. The Africans are clearly not part of Israel's "own civilian population" now, are they?  They are (depending on whom you ask) illegals or refugees - but they are clearly not Israeli civilian citizens. :lol:

That doesn't stop it from being an asshole move, but it would be mighty clever (if evil) to let the Africans be the Palestinian's problem, and vice-versa.

Josephus

Quote from: Josephus on June 15, 2012, 07:55:45 AM
Rather than camps, I think they should just "resettle" them in the east.

Just wanna go on record as having said this joke before Malthus. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on June 15, 2012, 04:08:13 PM

Hey, that was Viking stealing your thunder, not me. Don't let the nested quotes fool you.  ;)

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 04:12:47 PM

Hey, that was Viking stealing your thunder, not me. Don't let the nested quotes fool you.  ;)

I wasn't joking, I was pointing out that placing the refugees in camps in the west bank would be breaking the geneva convention the israelis are accused of breaking when civilians settle on the west bank.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2012, 04:24:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 15, 2012, 04:12:47 PM

I wasn't joking, I was pointing out that placing the refugees in camps in the west bank would be breaking the geneva convention the israelis are accused of breaking when civilians settle on the west bank.

He's referring to this:

QuoteSettle them in camps in the occupied east? Where have I head that before?

In any event, it would not be a breach, because the Africans are not Israeli civilians.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2012, 12:31:13 AM
The Foreign Minister, Lieberman, said that he was close to doing a deal with many African nations on deportation.  He said that inflammatory language like Yishai's made diplomacy more difficult.  I can't think of any other Israeli cabinet minister that could apply too :lol:

No kidding - if Lieberman is calling someone out for being inflammatory, you've got stellar level combustion going on.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson