News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Are There No European Franchises?

Started by Admiral Yi, May 07, 2009, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 12:32:22 AM
I mean, even McDonald's in Europe is not exactly the same in each country - in fact, there are wild differences, not just in the menu, but also in stuff like composition of Coca Cola, apparently, because it is all purchased locally, from local bottlers.

:huh:

I've been in a McDonalds in London, as well as one in Genoa.  In London, the menu was totally identical IIRC, but I think the drink sizes were noticably smaller.

In Genoa, the menu had all the typical McDonalds shit on it, but there were a couple of additions, including some 'Caribbean' chicken sandwich, and there might have been a burger version of this also.

Also, the McDonalds in Genoa had substantially more gypsies in it than a typical McDonalds in the US.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

Quote from: PRC on May 08, 2009, 12:29:37 AM
North America likes that safety net of knowing what they are going to get when they buy.  Europe is more comfortable going for food, ordering off a menu, and possibly having an unknown crap meal that they didn't originally bargain for.

My limited (by choice) experience with American franchises suggests you are much better off going to a random restaurant or bar than a McDonalds or similar. They are consistent all right, consistently crap.

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:28:54 AM

In Genoa, the menu had all the typical McDonalds shit on it, but there were a couple of additions, including some 'Caribbean' chicken sandwich, and there might have been a burger version of this also.
I'd think that would be some limited time special thing, they pop up often. Right now its some Chicago style crap IIRC.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2009, 07:32:51 AMI'd think that would be some limited time special thing, they pop up often. Right now its some Chicago style crap IIRC.

Oh, I guess you could be right... didn't think of that.  I never saw any 'Caribbean' type stuff at a US McDonalds, though.

Caliga

btw, if you Euros ever got a Chik-Fil-A, you'd never eat at your fancy-schmancy "local flavor restaurants" again. :mmm:

Ed Anger

The french fries at the Paris Metro Cadet Mickey D's are a thousand times better than the ones here.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on May 08, 2009, 05:49:01 AM
I struggled to think of any European franchises at first, but then I realised that most of our food stores are franchises. Pret a Manger, Eat, Wasabi, Itsu, Costa Coffee, Cafe Nero, Upper Crust, Pain Quotidien, Paul, Patisserie Valerie, and so on.

I guess these stores have struggled to penetrate the USA because of market saturation or cultural differences, if they have tried at all.

I have seen Pret a Manger and Pain Quotidien in the US before.  I had no idea those were UK companies.

Looking at some of those other chains those are very young companies that have only started to expand abroad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Also, the united colors of Benetton can continue to suck my balls.

Caliga

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:34:25 AM
btw, if you Euros ever got a Chik-Fil-A, you'd never eat at your fancy-schmancy "local flavor restaurants" again. :mmm:

Says the guy who eats at Kentucky flavor restaurants all the time.

Or are those Chik-Fil-A gas stations?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 07:44:59 AMSays the guy who eats at Kentucky flavor restaurants all the time.

Your logic = flawed, since Kentucky flavor restaurants >>>>>>> Euro flavor restaurants.  I mean, it's finger licking good.  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on May 08, 2009, 07:30:18 AM
My limited (by choice) experience with American franchises suggests you are much better off going to a random restaurant or bar than a McDonalds or similar. They are consistent all right, consistently crap.

McDonalds and KFC are horrendous even by fast food standards.  I have no idea why they are successful, but I suspect it is simply that they have been around forever and people know them.

As Zanza said though they do better in Euroland than in the US.  They have alot of competition here...competition that is better for a comparable price IMO.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:46:39 AM
Your logic = flawed, since Kentucky flavor restaurants >>>>>>> Euro flavor restaurants.  I mean, it's finger licking good.  :huh:

Point taken -_-

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2009, 07:44:59 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 07:34:25 AM

Says the guy who eats at Kentucky flavor restaurants all the time.

Boy, you just didn't insult Chik-Fil-A, did you now?

Grey Fox

Mcdonalds was always big on adapting itself to where it's located. It's one the main reason why it's so succesfull.

I think it's in the Philippine that they serve Spaghetti.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.