News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Are There No European Franchises?

Started by Admiral Yi, May 07, 2009, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I can't remember ever seeing a KFC in Germany really. Are there any, Syt?

garbon

Quote from: PRC on May 08, 2009, 12:45:07 AM
It's true to a certain degree... McDonalds in Greece offers "Mojo" fries, thick cut fries as opposed to shoestring ones which are offered everywhere else... and McDonalds in Holland serve Pizza (in 1998 anyways), which you can occasionally find here in NA as discussed in a recent thread.  Also you can buy beer in Euro Ratland which you can't over here. 

In New England, McDonalds offered up McLobster...whoop de doo. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

McDonalds in Thailand is basically a fried chicken joint rather than a burger joint. 

katmai

Taco Bell in Australia was more of a burger joint.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PRC

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 12:49:04 AM
In New England, McDonalds offered up McLobster...whoop de doo. :mellow:

That's regional variety anyways.  The tone of your post seemed to criticize Martinus for inferring regional variety was possible for a franchise.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Alatriste on May 08, 2009, 12:40:51 AMthere are no big Japanese, Chinese or Indian franchises

As for mega Japanese chains, there is Family Mart, which has 13,000 stores, half of them outside of Japan.

MOS Burger seems to be starting to expand abroad as well.

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2009, 12:27:31 AM

Ok. But I thought we were talking about franchises in Europe?

You are a retarded ass clown. How is that for an analogy?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 08, 2009, 12:48:56 AM
I can't remember ever seeing a KFC in Germany really. Are there any, Syt?

Yes there are, just not that many:
http://www.kfc.de/index.php?location=locator

There was one in Schweinfurt, across the street from where my sister lived. However, at the time (15 years ago) it may have been a U.S. Army add on. Unlike Popeye's or BK they weren't on the army compound (so they were accessible to everyone), but they still accepted both Deutsche Mark and USD.

We have a couple KFCs in Vienna but no Pizza Huts. KFC restarted a couple years ago, after a first attempt had failed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: PRC on May 08, 2009, 12:56:04 AM
That's regional variety anyways.  The tone of your post seemed to criticize Martinus for inferring regional variety was possible for a franchise.

It is night time, I'm less inclined to crop quotes.  Here's what I think he should be called out on:
QuoteWhere Americans see consistency and safety, Euros see the lack of creativity and boredom.

Besides, Marty acted as though regional variety (and thus less franchise-like) was a euro thing...whereas Americans were happy with their static chains that were boring and lacked creativity.  I wonder what he would make of the McDonald's in an old box car or the one in a victorian style home that I encountered in....America! :o :zipped:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

There are loads of European franchises.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Warspite

I struggled to think of any European franchises at first, but then I realised that most of our food stores are franchises. Pret a Manger, Eat, Wasabi, Itsu, Costa Coffee, Cafe Nero, Upper Crust, Pain Quotidien, Paul, Patisserie Valerie, and so on.

I guess these stores have struggled to penetrate the USA because of market saturation or cultural differences, if they have tried at all.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2009, 11:41:37 PM
Are there any? 

Yes, but I doubt any of them are anything near the size of McDonald's. Norwegian franchises abroad are few, but clothes vendors Dressmann operate in Eastern Europe, at least.