Sweden's 'democratic' Twitter account stirs controversy

Started by garbon, June 13, 2012, 02:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/swedens-democratic-twitter-account-stirs-controversy-170741884.html

QuoteSweden's "democratic Twitter account", which each week is hosted by a citizen who tweets about anything that comes to mind, came under fire Wednesday after a user aired sensitive questions about Jews.

Sonja Abrahamsson, a 27-year-old "single and low educated mother" according to her own description, was handed the reins to the official @Sweden Twitter account this week and almost immediately stirred controversy.

"What(')s the fuzz with Jews," she tweeted Tuesday seemingly out of the blue to the account's more than 42,000 followers, insisting it was difficult to tell Jews apart from other people "unless you see their penises, and even if you do, you can't be sure."

She went on to point out that "in Nazi German(y), they even had to sew stars on their sleeves. If they didn't, they could never never (k)now who was a Jew and who was not a Jew."

And she asked what it meant to be Jewish: "Why were the Nazis talking about races? Was it a blood-thing (for them)?" she tweeted.

Amid an onslaught of reactions, Abrahamsson, who usually airs her opinions on a blog and her own Twitter account @hejsonja, wrote: "I(')m sorry if some of you find the question(s) offensive. That was not my purpose. I just don't get why some people hate Jews so much."

"I thought it was a good idea to ask the question when so many well educated people all over the world can answer. But no. Bad idea," she admitted.
The Twittosphere went wild: "Holy s***! Love the idea of Swedes running the @Sweden, but this is insane... Freedom of speech gone wrong," one commentator wrote.

The government-run Swedish Institute and the country's official tourism board, Visit Sweden, which jointly created the Twitter project last December, said they had been flooded with questions about the controversy, but stressed they had no plans to take action.

"We don't want to upset people, but at the same time it is important for us that we don't fall into censorship," Visit Sweden's communications chief Maria Ziw told AFP, pointing out that the whole idea of creating "the world's most democratic Twitter account" was to promote transparency and openness.

The so-called curators invited to be the voice of @Sweden for a week "are supposed to be a mosaic of opinions," agreed Sergio Guimaraes of the Swedish Institute, insisting to AFP that the project was an exercise in freedom of expression and censorship would defeat that purpose.

"This is not the first time a curator has expressed themselves in a provocative way, and I in no way expect it to be the last," he said, adding: "It's good to discuss these issues openly."

There are rules however: curators are not permitted to tweet about anything that threatens national security, to break Swedish laws or to promote or advertise products or services while using the account.

"If (Abrahamsson) had gone further and had gone into (illegal) hate speech, which I absolutely do not think was her intention, we would have closed the account," Ziw said.

"But we don't think she did so, and neither do our lawyers," she said, adding: I think she was careless, but she did not do anything illegal."

Would-be curators need to be Twitter savvy and to be proposed by someone else. The organisers who choose them from a list of candidates say they tend to be fond of launching debates and discussions.

One requirement is to be able to write in English.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

They should just give the account over to Colbert.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

I don't get it. What's the fuss about? Her questions are naive but aren't particularly offensive.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

sigh, Slargos has gone and hacked som stupid broad's twitter account.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2012, 03:13:02 PM
I don't get it. What's the fuss about? Her questions are naive but aren't particularly offensive.
Same here.  Holocaust guilt trips are not an infinite resource, let's not waste it on absolutely inoffensive stuff like this.

MadImmortalMan

She might be a Jew herself. Abrahamsson?

Anyway, "democratic" should not mean celebrating mediocrity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2012, 03:13:02 PM

Yeah that's what I thought too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

It's offensive to say that you think Ashkenazi Jews are basically European in appearance and ask questions about the inconsistencies of Nazi ideology?  I didn't know that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2012, 03:18:11 PM

No, Slargos would have asked, "Given that European Jews cannot be detected at a glance, what tests can we perform to stem the Semitic threat and keep our blood clean?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on June 13, 2012, 04:52:22 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2012, 03:18:11 PM

No, Slargos would have asked, "Given that European Jews cannot be detected at a glance, what tests can we perform to stem the Semitic threat and keep our blood clean?"
:lol: :yes:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on June 13, 2012, 04:50:58 PM
It's offensive to say that you think Ashkenazi Jews are basically European in appearance and ask questions about the inconsistencies of Nazi ideology?  I didn't know that.

Don't mention the war.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Be wary when dealing with Euros for they are unsubtle, and quick to anger.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 13, 2012, 05:46:45 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 13, 2012, 04:50:58 PM

Don't mention the war.

Why?  WWII was awesome.

And I'm always learning new things.  Did you know that the Hood had a greater displacement than the King George V?  I didn't.  Neil probably did, but whatever.
Kinemalogue

Richard Hakluyt

Naive questions start up controversy horror  :(

I guess if someone here asked the same questions we would be suspicious of his motives; but, from a self-described person of "low education", the questions she asks seem reasonable enough. They are roughly the same questions that many of us probably asked in our childhood.

Sweden moves the slider one notch over to narrowmindedness.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue