Anti-virus update cripples millions of computers

Started by viper37, June 12, 2012, 02:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on June 12, 2012, 02:37:08 PM
Avira problems

Damn.  Tha will hurt.

Oh do hope my mate who has just got a new laptop and was saying he needed some 'protection' didn't plump for that; I know he mentioned planning on using one beginning with an a.

Incidentally, I'm trying out the microsoft security essentials and it seems ok.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

lots of people appreciate that MS software.  Personally, I use ESET Smart Security, never regretted it :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

MSE has been fine for my purposes, though I tend to load AVG on pre-Win7 machines or where somebody seems reluctant to rely on embedded MS software.

Also, I use a combination of MalwareBytes, HijackThis, and a lot of work with msconfig in Safe Mode for actual virus removal.
Experience bij!

Josephus

I been using Microsoft Essentials. No trouble with it so far, touch wood. Although for some reason, the icon disappeared from my tool bar the other day. Does that mean I'm not receiving realtime protection?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I'm using Avira and haven't noticed anything.

The news article is from May 12th, so if anything had been messed on my computer it should have manifested by now?

EDIT:
QuoteThe good news is that the free edition (Avira AntiVir Personal) does not include ProActiv, so it is not affected.

So that's why I have no issues.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.