If you were going to be trapped on some made up fantasy world which would it be?

Started by Darth Wagtaros, June 12, 2012, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Judging from the wiki article, I'm not sure how "The Culture" is either plausible or manages to make an interesting setting for fiction. :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Planescape. Upper ward Sensate with Plainwalker friends in case I get bored.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on June 13, 2012, 07:22:06 PM
Anyplace with fiends is just too terrible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 13, 2012, 07:03:30 PM
Judging from the wiki article, I'm not sure how "The Culture" is either plausible or manages to make an interesting setting for fiction. :yeahright:

It's run by infinitely intelligent utilitarian supercomputers that always make the best decisions for everyone involved. Most stories take place on the frontiers of the Culture where it's meddling with primitive societies.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2012, 08:08:17 AM
You read Coldheart Canyon?

Yeah, definitely par for his twisted course.

Funny, whenever I mention Clive Barker, that's the one work that consistently comes up. :lol:

Iormlund

Having meditated a bit on the question, I guess the safest option would be sometime between The Peace War and the Singularity in Vernor Vinge's bobble universe.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2012, 08:10:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2012, 08:08:17 AM
You read Coldheart Canyon?

Yeah, definitely par for his twisted course.

Funny, whenever I mention Clive Barker, that's the one work that consistently comes up. :lol:

Because it was horrible drivel!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2012, 09:09:53 AM
Because it was horrible drivel!

Oh, I don't disagree; he's not good enough to accept any of his work blindly and expect it to be as good as his earlier pre-1995 works--Sacrament is probably the best of his later works, and even that one was marginal--but he does have his moments of fucked-upedness, and is not afraid to put some really horrific and stomach-turning shit on paper.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2012, 08:15:20 PM
Massvely hot, under-appreciated tiefling ass makes up for it.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Solmyr

Quote from: Queequeg on June 14, 2012, 09:59:51 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2012, 08:15:20 PM
Massvely hot, under-appreciated tiefling ass makes up for it.

Do you really want to tap some emo goth with daddy issues?