NH boy finds, returns cash-stuffed backpack

Started by garbon, May 07, 2009, 10:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_re_us/us_found_cash
QuoteA 10-year-old boy picking up litter in a small New Hampshire town found a backpack stuffed with more than $8,000 cash.

Arie Johnston was helping his grandmother with her town's annual roadside cleanup when he spotted the burned backpack Saturday in Alton, N.H., about 90 miles north of Boston. He told the local newspaper, Foster's Daily Democrat, his first thought was that someone had killed someone for the money.

Arie's grandmother called the town clerk, who identified the bag's owner based on documents found with the money. The owner was a woman who had lived across the street until a fire damaged her apartment last year.

Police say the woman has since moved to Maine and has asked that her belongings be given to her sister who lives in Alton. Arie's grandmother says a reward may be coming.

His momma done raised a fool. :thumbsdown:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PRC

When I was a boy I found, along with four other young friends, a bag filled with ammo!  It was left under a bush in a wooded area... a wicker purse that we opened and saw all these glistening bullets.  We gave it to the parents who turned it in.

Admiral Yi

BBC had a story about an Argentine taxi driver who returned 32 grand left in a paper bag by an elderly couple.

Apparently he has become a folk hero and people are donating money on the internet to reward him for his honesty.

Caliga

When I was a kid, after my grandmother died we found a thicket of cannabis plants in her backyard while we were cleaning her house out.  My friend and I did NOT turn it into our parents or the police. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Thank you, Cal. I was feeling crazy. :hug:

A pity that I've damned you to burn in hell.  :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2009, 11:44:14 PM
BBC had a story about an Argentine taxi driver who returned 32 grand left in a paper bag by an elderly couple.

Apparently he has become a folk hero and people are donating money on the internet to reward him for his honesty.

Sounds like a scam to me :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 10:41:11 AM
Thank you, Cal. I was feeling crazy. :hug:

A pity that I've damned you to burn in hell.  :(

:huh: Seriously, that really happened.  My grandma was Principal of a school for troubled teens and she kept one, Walter, as a boarder for about 6-7 years.  He later died of a heroin overdose.  :)

We assumed Walter planted it, and my grandma never went into her backyard after that, since she paid the neighbor kids to mow it and she was too fat to go down the back steps.  :cool:

garbon

No I meant that PRC gave some odd tale about returning bullets and Yi said about some guy who returned 32,000. I was starting to feel as though the sentiment was that one should always return what one has found.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 11:49:38 AM
No I meant that PRC gave some odd tale about returning bullets and Yi said about some guy who returned 32,000. I was starting to feel as though the sentiment was that one should always return what one has found.

Oh, ok then... well, when it comes to large quantities of drugs, I respectfully disagree.  :)

Habbaku

I found $20 on a deserted street once.  The only effort I made to return it was giving a glance to see if anyone was around.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2009, 11:49:38 AM
Nope.  Nobody except you has ever raised the "always" issue, because the rest of us know that talking about 'always" and "never" is moronic.

One should return something found if, the shoe being on the other foot, one would want another to return that thing had you lost it.

Thus, I would turn in $32,000 if i found it, but not $10.  The line for me would probably be about $200 (anything less than that, I wouldn't bother the authorities for).  Specialized cases would apply, though:  if I found money left in the "cash back" slot of the supermarket, I would turn it in, since the person who failed to pick it up would know right where to go to get it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2009, 12:10:45 PM
I found $20 on a deserted street once.  The only effort I made to return it was giving a glance to see if anyone was around.

You are full of shit Habs, I happen to know exactly what you do when you find yourself with "found" money that you know belongs to someone else.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2009, 12:10:45 PM

I've found $100.00, $20.00 twice, and $5.00 a bunch of times in similar circumstances.
:p

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 12:16:16 PM
Nope.  Nobody except you has ever raised the "always" issue, because the rest of us know that talking about 'always" and "never" is moronic.

Do you do this when engaged in everyday conversation?

Phillip V

Return lost goods. You would want the same thing done for you. I have lost my wallet before, and someone returned it to me.