News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on July 13, 2021, 05:43:05 PM
When I saw the tank (and for a long time afterwards) I thought that the missing bolts were missing because the Soviets couldn't find enough good workers to put in all the bolts, and that therefor they were forced to send out tanks put together by people that didn't know how tanks were properly put together.  After seeing that presentation, the missing bolts make a lot more sense:  why put them in when the same worker can be putting in necessary bolts in the next tank.  Why change the plate to have less bolt holes when that would delay production (even if infitessimally) and the existing plates worked well enough.

The Soviet versus German approaches to AFV production is pretty much the poster child for "better is the enemy of good enough."

Glantz had a good summary of this:

The Germans treated their tanks as assets to be protected, fixed, recovered, and put back into service.

The soviets treated their tanks as ammunition. Something to be produced and expended.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 14, 2021, 11:06:06 AM

The Germans treated their tanks as assets to be protected, fixed, recovered, and put back into service.

The soviets treated their tanks as ammunition. Something to be produced and expended.

I like it.  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a WW2 Soviet tank recovery vehicle.  Surely they must have had some, to recover vehicles incapacitated by an easily-fixed problem that just couldn't be fixed in the field.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2021, 02:37:22 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 14, 2021, 11:06:06 AM

I like it.  I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a WW2 Soviet tank recovery vehicle.  Surely they must have had some, to recover vehicles incapacitated by an easily-fixed problem that just couldn't be fixed in the field.
I always thought they treated the tanks the way they treated their soldiers.  If it couldn't make its way off hte battlefield on its own it was left to rot.
PDH!

Syt

A video chronicling some of the more extreme challenges in the Dark Souls community, particularly the "no hit" runs over multiple games:

https://youtu.be/ppJi6uAstP4

The narrator is a bit bland and makes a few minor factual errors, but overall a decent summary (e.g. you don't need just dexterity for weapons, but each weapon has its own set of stat requirements, but the point is clear - you need to level up for more powerful gear).

Never liked watching Happy Hob (one of the runners), because he's a bit loud and brash for my tastes; I prefer chill streamers - Squillakilla is exactly that. Quiet, calm, smooth voice, perfect for having on in the background. :D

Dark Souls 1 has a mandatory death in the campaign that advances the story. Purist no hit runners will get around this by using a tricky jump in the area to skip that part of the game (though no hit runners otherwise won't use glitches or exploits unlike certain speed run categories).

Besides the no hit runs there's IMHO some harder challenges - e.g. these runs generally are all just taking on the mandatory bosses and skipping the optional ones. Squilla e.g. was going for no hit runs against all bosses for the DS trilogy,+ Bloodborne and there's also the no damage runs.

What's the difference between no hit and no damage? Two main reasons: in DS1-3 there's the Red Tearstone Ring (RTSR) which boosts damage if your life is low. In the video you see runners with low health in some boss fights - that's intentional to trigger the RTSR; usually it's triggered by carefully chosen falls that cause damage (since you can't let enemies hit you). However, in a no damage run ... additionally, there are areas in the games where you're expected to take some damage in a normal play through - poison swamps, some drops off ledges etc. So the runner has to go get items and certain spells to mitigate that damage.

On the one hand I admire these guys who do those challenges. On the other hand I find it troubling when people chase such runs for a year or so and commit a huge chunk of their lives to this. :D

But I am somewhat fascinated by these challenges and find people doing challenge runs in Dark Souls/Bloodborne games quite entertaining.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Even playing dark souls normally mystifies me.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I never knew this existed and it's pretty cool.
Apparently in the early 1960s, Hugh Hefner was given a television show, called Playboy's Penthouse.
This aired on U.S. television, (so it's all SFW). It's basically Hugh inviting several pop culture people of the time into his "penthouse" and drinking, smoking and chewing the shit. Kind of like a talk/variety show.
It's interesting to me, as a window into early 60s pop culture. Also, it was fairly controversial because he had black people on. Several southern states refused to air it.

https://youtu.be/fwN09HzpYBQ
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

I'm almost ashame I like it... I think it's that spanish accent, I got the same effect with Shakira's Nothing Else Matters:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxLLJ9Lmcg&list=PLW-e786IaZ12fdNDDfVzqBtQ-a-EyIs9m
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

John Oliver on the state os Emergency Medical Services (i.e. ambulances) in the U.S.
https://youtu.be/Ezv8sdTLxKo

Damn. :wacko:

(I recall when my dad had his stroke and had to be taken to hospital where he then died the same day, we also got a bill, but we sent it to our health insurance and that was that. We were actually surprised they didn't send it to the insurance right away.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2021, 11:54:31 AM
John Oliver on the state os Emergency Medical Services (i.e. ambulances) in the U.S.

(I recall when my dad had his stroke and had to be taken to hospital where he then died the same day, we also got a bill, but we sent it to our health insurance and that was that. We were actually surprised they didn't send it to the insurance right away.)

I didn't realize that John Oliver had lost so much of his game.  Those "jokes" did not work.

But, yeah, ambulance fees are absurd, and what's equally absurd is that ambulances race each other to the scene, since the first one there gets the business.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I've listened to this a dozen or more times since discovering it recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58v-IpXXUiQ  It's in French, but you can easily find translations of the lyrics.

I'm not sure why I like it so much; it is more than it's dramatic nature and the vivid vocals, but I can't put my finger on it.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

12 minute Vice minidocumentary on the shit going down in South Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cew-BnjA_q4

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2021, 07:05:39 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2021, 11:54:31 AM

I didn't realize that John Oliver had lost so much of his game.  Those "jokes" did not work.

But, yeah, ambulance fees are absurd, and what's equally absurd is that ambulances race each other to the scene, since the first one there gets the business.

Back in my original home, we were lucky that our local city/jurisdiction had EMS as a public service under the fire department.  It was very high quality, and the voted-on tax levy that provided their funding always passed overwhelmingly.

Grey Fox

It is said that Montreal has a lot of professional firefighters & that their training is exceptional.

Historically, there were a lot of fires here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2021, 12:43:14 PM
It is said that Montreal has a lot of professional firefighters & that their training is exceptional.

Historically, there were a lot of fires here.

A lot of firefighter calls are non fire related here.  They and the ambulance service get called as first responders to medical emergencies. 

I can't imagine the chaos of private EMS competing with eachother to get the "business".