News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Ah, "Nero was the murderer of Agrippina" vs "Agrippina was murdered by Nero." :)

And yeah, grammaring while tired is hard. My uni course on German grammar was at 7 pm during my studies. :zzz:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 01:22:57 PM
Atun-Shei talks about the Film Gettysburg

The last few minutes of the second video are hilarious to anybody who is familiar with this film and Gods and Generals.
you are right, this is a gem! :P

I won't dispute the historical innacuracies of Gods&Generals (I can't remember exactly what/where), I certainly can't dispute that it came off as a movie promoting the idea of the Lost Cause and was totally inferior to the gem that is Gettysburg, but I will point that the Director's cut of the movie is infinately better than the theatrical cut (yes, the bar was low, but the movie is imho better and a tad more balanced than it originally was, though again, it ain't saying much ;) ).

If you haven't seen this version, I highly recommend it.  I bought a blu-ray package containing both extended versions on Amazon.ca but I can't find it now on Amazon US, only the individual movies:
Gods and Generals extended Director's cut

Gettysburg Director's cut
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2020, 03:54:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXFhTXSLjco

Brothers prank sister zonked on anesthetics with zombie apocalypse.  Which pet to take is best part. :lol:
Vidéo non disponible Cette vidéo a été bloquée dans votre pays par l'utilisateur qui l'a mise en ligne.
Too bad, I'm disinclined to use the VPN just for this americano-centric video  :sleep: :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 26, 2020, 10:29:48 AM
System Of A DOwn - BYOB as relaxing accoustic cover. :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvgFGg9glo
The best covers of System of a Down:Chop Suey
Toxicity
Lauren Babic has an incredible voice.  :wub:
But Violet Orlandi is  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Unrelated to SOAD, but a metal cover I really like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65MD5-XSu8M
Escape the Fate: Guillotine.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2020, 01:52:34 AM(like My Little Pony Cum Jars which were apparently a thing :x ).
The My Little Pony and neo-nazi connection was already :wacko: but this is at least  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Syt

Samurai Sword Master Rates 10 Japanese Sword Scenes In Movies And TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMmLRJYdQlQ

QuoteKaito Suiju is master of the Hisui school of battōjutsu and instructor at Hisui Tokyo. He has been teaching katana sword fighting for decades and is of samurai descent. Master Suiju rates the realism of katana sword scenes in movies, including skills of actors, the way they hold and train with the swords, as well as the choreography of fights. He also debunks some of the commonly-accepted myths and legends around samurai history and culture, and points out where Hollywood gets it wrong. During the video Master Suiju demonstrates the correct method of how to grip and move with a katana sword, as well as talking us through the different parts of the sword.

Master Suiju rates Japanese-language movies including "Harakiri" (1962), "Yojimbo" (1961), "13 Assassins" (2010), "The Sword of Doom" (1966), "Rurouni Kenshin Part I: Origins" (2012) as well as anime such as "Samurai Champloo" (2004).

And Hollywood movies such as "John Wick Chapter 3 - Parrabellum" (2019),"The Last Samurai" (2003) and Kill Bill Vol.1 (2003). He also looks at a fight between Maeve (Thandi Newton) and Musashi (Hiroyuki Sanada) in HBO's "Westworld" (2020).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Not really YouTube, but it didn't really fit into the games thread, either, and we don't have an ARMA thread. :P

By chance I came across the streams of a group of German ARMA3 players: https://airborne-division.de/airborne/

The roleplay as members of the 101st Airborne and play missions in large groups. Normally modern day, but yesterday they had a WW2 event where they, as members of the 101st had to advance through a woodland area with some small villages and clear them from hostiles. There were 70-80 participants, divided into (understrength?) platoons, squads, etc. A few Americans also joined, and with language being an issue, they formed the scouting element (with one German as radio guy).

This being WW2, there were few radios (they used one per platoon, I think, with a dedicated radioman), plus the scout troop. Otherwise it was just voice communications within hearing range (meaning a lot of passing on orders along the line, and sending runners to relay orders). Additionally, they didn't use the in game maps, relying on hand drawn maps the organizer had prepared, adding some challenge to navigating terrain or relaying positions of hostiles (or themselves). The most "gamey" concession they made was that if you "died" you would wake up after a while and your medics could nurse you back to health. Even so, near the end of the scenario medics had run out of most first aid materials, so some soldiers remained wounded, limping, etc.

I initially came across a guy that was a simple rifleman in the line, on the far left flank. The whole unit advanced in formation, and his view was relatively uneventful (until about half way into the 4 hour mission), but it also was quite interesting, even though much of it was getting commands to adjust formation, close up, spread out, further left, etc. His squad was ordered to hold the left flank, while the center elements were clearing a village. He was at the edge of the woods, looking into a small valley towards another wooded ridge. There was a lot of shooting going on somewhere in those woods and village, but they saw nothing of it, and had no idea what was actually happening. Some stray bullets came their way, but that was it. At some point the shooting stopped and they advanced again. It was surprisingly tense.

I later put on two more streams in parallel to the rifle guy's. One was his platoon sergeant, the other was the recon squad. It was quite interesting to see how each handled their tasks (the sergeant by far being the busiest one, making sure his squads were doing as the should, and keeping them safe), using squad tactics, and how a lull for one element could over lap with frenzied action for another group. Near the end the unit ran into a King Tiger that gave them a lot of trouble till they brought their anti tank team in. Seeing this from various angles was surprisingly captivating.

The whole thing was one of the most :nerd: things I've seen in a while on Twitch, but it was quite captivating to see. It would be cool to do one of these at some point, but I'm not sure I want to invest the time in their tight training regimen. :D

P.S.: Earlier this year they did a WW2 winter scenario, it seems:

More screenshots from their missions are here: https://airborne-division.de/community/forum/board/28-verlauf/

(though they do some mundane stuff - like mission "Arrival": "Today we relocate into our new area of operations. We will familiarize ourselves with the situation, move into our new quarters, and take over our new equipment. Afterwards we will patrol a nearby village.")
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Where exactly are we fighting there?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2020, 01:38:19 PM

Dunno about that scenario. Yesterday's map was meant to represent the French/Belgian border, though TBH the buildings made it look like the Russian countryside, but only if you nitpick.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 25, 2020, 02:02:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2020, 01:38:19 PM

Dunno about that scenario. Yesterday's map was meant to represent the French/Belgian border, though TBH the buildings made it look like the Russian countryside, but only if you nitpick.

I don't see any buildings, but it just looked like it was taking place in some far off eastern european area not in the Ardennes, but then it is not like I have explored the entire Ardennes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Back to weird song covers. Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, in Classical Latin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbEKIW3pUUk

They also have House of the Rising Sun in Medieval French: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvAEMz64O9c

And Pumped Up Kicks in Old English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2020, 01:43:49 AM
Back to weird song covers. Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, in Classical Latin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbEKIW3pUUk

Oh YouTube :D

CALLIDO
1 week ago (edited)
This is great. We need more Latin covers. The pronounciation is on point, but there are some mistakes in the translation, like:

0:31 "Para pilis" should be "para pila", "trahere" means "to drag" and i never saw it i nthe context of "to bring". instead i would use "affere" or "ferre"
0:43 "O non" -> there is no "no" in Latin. I would use the intejection "Vae", which basically means "oh no".
0:49 "parvus" means "small" and not low. I would rather use the word "humilis" here with "quam" -> Quam humiliter? = how low?
1:05 "Me sentio" is used with double accusative, so it should be "Me sentio agrum, stultum", also "aeger" means sick. Contagious means "contagiosus"
1:38 "peior" means "worse". Instead the superlative "pessima" should be used, or, to convey similar meaning "nimis mala"
1:44 "Ipso munere" means "the gift itself", the translator propbably confused it with "isto" which means "this"
2:49 "ut" here should be used with a subjunctive in order to convey a final clause "in order to laugh". So it should be "ut rideam". If your goal was however to translate "how to laugh", ut is the wrong "how". Rather "quomodo" should be used. So "quomodo rideatur, puto".
2:54 "durum" means hard, but in a physical way, like for example "a hard wall". If it is hard as in "difficult", you should use "dificilis"

sorry for being so picky, but I'm a Latin fanatic so its very important to me. If you ever do another Latin cover, I will gladly look over the lyrics for you and scan for mistakes.
That being said, i still love your work and im looking forward to your future cover
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

QuoteI'm a Latin fanatic

Lazio ultra? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on July 31, 2020, 03:21:59 AM
QuoteI'm a Latin fanatic

Lazio ultra? :unsure:

Did he say Latium or Laziale fanatic?  ;)