Why are green politicians opposed to clean nuclear energy?

Started by Martinus, June 10, 2012, 05:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2012, 08:21:46 AM
Actually their point is that the West is the trust fund kid of the world.  We need to take a severe lifestyle cut, or make our lifestyle significantly more sustainable/less based on consumption, for the rest of the world to develop - though they should learn from Western mistakes and develop sustainably.  They don't believe in the West continuing our lifestyle.

I mean I posted a while ago about that former McKinsley consultant who's now a Green activist and councillor.  He did research that indicated that actually consumption had dropped in recent years, I think even if you account for the outsourcing of production and the carbon cost.  The idea that you can have growth and some form of increased sustainability is pretty revolutionary in Green circles.

Sure, the West is a trust fund kid. But greens are like these idiotic hipsters who sneer on their more productive (if somewhat workaholic) peers and elders, and instead prefer to live in shitty (but expensive) flats, buy overpriced fair trade goods and work on "projects".

Turning the West to shit is not going to help the developing world - it's just going to turn the West to shit.

Sheilbh

The point isn't to help the developing world.  The Greens believe in a steady state economy of zero growth because they think constant growth is impossible without destroying the planet.  The West is more able to do that, we're comfortable so we should go for no growth, try to localise and decentralise the economy a lot and so on.

Also you increasing sound like your bitterly ageing while slipping into comfortable provincial sneering yourself.  Lay off the G&T every now and then and embrace some youth(s) :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Cecil

Why bury the spent fuel anyway. It makes for fine gen 4 fuel. Current day spent fuel will last 1000 years  or so I´ve heard.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 07:32:58 AM
You know when I read stuff like that, I'm kinda feeling proud to be a Pole for the first time, perhaps, ever. Compared to the pussified Western Europe, and the dysfunctional idiocy of countries like Hungary or Ukraine, we are surprisingly (for a nation stereotypically considered to be full of hotheaded and irrational romantics) level-headed, in a 19th century Britain style. We are growing our economy, building nuclear plant(s) and infrastructure, engaging in some moderate regional diplomacy that is neither too ambitious nor too timid, raising retirement age and keeping the public debt from ballooning, all the while keeping democracy and human rights in a fairly good shape, or even seeing a moderate progress.

That is kind of the way I think about Poland.  :swiss:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 07:32:58 AM
You know when I read stuff like that, I'm kinda feeling proud to be a Pole for the first time, perhaps, ever. Compared to the pussified Western Europe, and the dysfunctional idiocy of countries like Hungary or Ukraine, we are surprisingly (for a nation stereotypically considered to be full of hotheaded and irrational romantics) level-headed, in a 19th century Britain style. We are growing our economy, building nuclear plant(s) and infrastructure, engaging in some moderate regional diplomacy that is neither too ambitious nor too timid, raising retirement age and keeping the public debt from ballooning, all the while keeping democracy and human rights in a fairly good shape, or even seeing a moderate progress.

It won't last.

Spain enjoyed a generation like that during and immediately after the Transition to democracy. Many mistakes were made, of course, but in general people in power were reasonable and open to compromise. It's extraordinary how much the country changed in a little over a decade.

I don't know why that ended. Maybe it was the lack of adult experience under a dictatorship of the new generations. Maybe the newfound wealth of society. Perhaps the increasing presence of the media.

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on June 10, 2012, 11:31:40 AM

It won't last.

Spain enjoyed a generation like that during and immediately after the Transition to democracy. Many mistakes were made, of course, but in general people in power were reasonable and open to compromise. It's extraordinary how much the country changed in a little over a decade.

I don't know why that ended. Maybe it was the lack of adult experience under a dictatorship of the new generations. Maybe the newfound wealth of society. Perhaps the increasing presence of the media.

I think the wealth has to have a lot to do with it. Poland just has to peer over the border into Germany to see what it is missing, and it doesn't have so many resources to squander on stupid stuff. There really isn't any reason people in Poland and Spain should be a lot poorer than in France or Germany, so if that happens it is obvious to everyone something is really wrong.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2012, 11:07:16 AM
Agreed.  I like the Poles (and Czechs) a lot and I'm very glad they're doing well.  I think they're like the sensible, responsible, generally conscientious and moderate Netherlands/Germany style countries of Central/Eastern Europe. 
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2012, 11:50:27 AM
Agreed.  I like the Poles (and Czechs) a lot and I'm very glad they're doing well.  I think they're like the sensible, responsible, generally conscientious and moderate Netherlands/Germany style countries of Central/Eastern Europe.

Yeah, but we wind up with:  Marty.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2012, 02:48:08 PM

That's the Polish export 'product'.

I wonder what the polish for B-Ark is ?

edit:
I'll take a guess, it could be something like this:

Quote'B' Ark
... "To znaczy, ja nie mogłem pomóc uwagę," powiedział Ford, także biorąc łyk "ciał. W ładowni".

"Organy"? powiedział kapitan ze zdziwieniem.

Ford zatrzymał i pomyślał. Nigdy nie bierz niczego za pewnik, pomyślał. Czy to możliwe, że kapitan nie wie, że ma piętnaście milionów martwych ciał na jego statku?

Kapitan został radośnie kiwając na niego. Pojawił się także do gry z kaczki gumy.

Ford rozejrzał się. Dwa Liczba patrzył na niego w lustrze, ale tylko na chwilę: jego oczy były stale w ruchu. Pierwszy oficer stał tam trzymając tacę drinki i uśmiechnięty dobrotliwie.

"Organy"? powiedział kapitan ponownie.

Ford oblizał wargi.

"Tak", powiedział: "Wszystkie te martwe dezynfekcji telefoniczne i kierownictwo konta, wiesz, w luku bagażowym".

Kapitan spojrzał na niego. Nagle rzucił w tył głowę i roześmiał się.

"Och, nie żyjesz", powiedział: "Dobry Boże, nie, nie są one zamrożone. Będą się odrodzić".

Ford zrobił coś, czego bardzo rzadko. Zamrugał.

Artur zdawał się wychodzić z transu.

"To znaczy, że masz trzymać pełną zamrożonych fryzjerów?" powiedział.

"O tak", powiedział kapitan "Miliony nich. Fryzjerzy, zmęczone producenci telewizyjni, sprzedawcy ubezpieczeń, pracownicy zarządu, ochroniarze, public relations menedżerów, konsultantów zarządzania, nazwij je. Będziemy kolonizować inne planety."

Ford poruszony bardzo nieznacznie.

"Ekscytujące, prawda?" powiedział kapitan.

"Co z tej partii?" powiedział Arthur.

"Ach, teraz mnie źle nie zrozumieć", powiedział kapitan "jesteśmy po prostu jeden ze statków we flocie Ark. Jesteśmy" B "Arka widzisz. Niestety, mogę tylko prosić, aby uruchomić nieco bardziej gorąca woda dla mnie? "

Arthur zobowiązany, a kaskady wody pieniącej różowym wirowały wokół wanny. Kapitan westchnął przyjemności.

"Dziękuję bardzo drogi przyjacielu. Czy pomaga siebie do innych napojów, oczywiście".

Ford rzucił w dół swojego drinka, wziął butelkę z pierwszego oficera tacy i napełnić swój kieliszek do góry.

"Co", powiedział, "jest" B "Arka"?

"To", powiedział kapitan i swished do spienionego wody wokół radośnie z kaczki.

"Tak," powiedział Ford ", ale ..."

"No co się stało widać było", powiedział kapitan ", nasza planeta, świat, z którego doszliśmy, był niejako skazany."

"Skazani?"

"O tak. Więc co wszyscy myśleli, był, niech spakować całą populację w niektórych gigantycznych statków i iść i osiedlać się na innej planecie".

Po to mówi wiele o jego historii, osiadł z powrotem zadowolony grunt.

"To znaczy mniej ponurym jeden?" monit Artura.

"Co powiedziałeś kochany?"

"Mniej skazani na niepowodzenie planeta. Miałeś na osiedlenie się."

"Czy będziemy osiedlać się na tak. Dlatego zdecydowano się zbudować trzy statki, widzisz, trzy Ark w kosmosie, i ... nie jestem nudny You Am I?"

"Nie, nie," powiedział Ford mocno ", jest to fascynujące."

"Wiesz, że to wspaniały," odbicie kapitana, "mieć kogoś do rozmowy na zmianę."

Oczy dwie liczby s rzucił gorączkowo po pokoju ponownie, a następnie osiadł z powrotem na lustrze, jak para leci krótko oderwany od swojej ulubionej zdobyczy miesięcy starego mięsa.

"Kłopoty z długiej podróży jak ta", kontynuował Kapitana ", jest to, że skończy się tylko mówić do siebie partii, który dostaje strasznie nudne, ponieważ pół czas wiesz, co masz zamiar powiedzieć dalej."

"Tylko pół godzina?" Artur zapytał ze zdziwieniem.

Kapitan pomyślał przez chwilę.

"Tak, około pół powiedziałbym każdym razie -. Gdzie jest mydło?" On połowu wokół i znalazłem.

"Tak, tak, tak," wrócił "Chodziło o to, że do pierwszego statku, 'A' statek, by przejść wszystkie genialne przywódców, naukowców, wielkich artystów, znasz wszystkie uczonym, a do trzecią lub statek "C", pójdzie wszystkich ludzi, którzy tak naprawdę to, który stworzył rzeczy i robiłam rzeczy, a następnie do katalogu `'B statku - to my - pójdą wszyscy inni, pośrednicy widać".

Uśmiechnął się radośnie na nich.

"A my zostały wysłane poza pierwszym," doszedł do wniosku, i nucił trochę melodię kąpieli.

Mały kawałek kąpielowy, który został złożony do niego przez jednego z jego najlepszych na świecie i płodnym pisarzem jingle (który aktualnie śpi w luku trzydzieści sześć niektóre dziewięćset metrów za nimi) objęte co w innym przypadku byłyby niewygodne chwila ciszy . Ford i Artur tasuje swoje nogi i wściekle unikać nawzajem oczy.

"Er ..." powiedział Arthur po chwili ", co dokładnie się stało, że było nie tak z waszej planecie wtedy?"

"Och, to był skazany, jak powiedziałem," powiedział kapitan "Widocznie to był bardzo bliski zderzenia na słońce, czy coś. A może to było to, że księżyc był bardzo bliski zderzenia z nami. Coś w tym rodzaju. Absolutnie straszny Perspektywa cokolwiek to było. "

"Ach", powiedział pierwszy oficer nagle "Myślałem, że to, że planeta będzie opanowany przez gigantyczny rój pszczół dwunastu stóp piranie. Nie było to, że?"

Number Two rozpiętość wokół, oczy w ogniu z zimnym światłem twardy, że tylko przychodzi z ilością praktyce gotów był umieścić w.

"To nie to, co powiedziano mi!" syknął: "Mój dowódca powiedział mi, że cała planeta była w bezpośrednim niebezpieczeństwem zjedzenia przez olbrzymiego kozła zmutowanego gwiazdy!"

"Och naprawdę ..." powiedział Ford Prefect.

"Tak! Monstrualna istota z dołu piekła scything zębów dziesięć tysięcy mil długą, oddech, który gotowała oceany, pazurów, że może oderwać kontynenty od swoich korzeni, tysiąc oczy, które płonęły jak słońce, slavering szczęki milion mil średnicy, potwór taki jak ty nigdy nie ... nigdy ... nigdy ... "

"A oni zadbali wysłali Ci dużo off 1-te prawda?" zapytał Artura.

"O tak", powiedział kapitan "dobrze każdy mówi, bardzo ładnie pomyślałem, że to było bardzo ważne dla morale czuć, że będą przybyciu na planetę, gdzie mogli być pewni dobrego fryzjera i gdzie telefony były oczyścić ".

"O tak," zgadza się Ford, "Widzę, że byłoby bardzo ważne. I inne statki, er ... poszli na po uczynili?"

Przez chwilę kapitan nie odpowiedział. On skręcone rundę w swojej wannie i patrząc wstecz na olbrzymią statku ku jasnym środku galaktycznego. Zerknął na niewyobrażalną odległość.

"Ach. No to zabawne należy powiedzieć, że", powiedział i dał lekki grymas na Ford Prefect ", bo co ciekawe nie słyszeliśmy peep z nich odkąd opuścił pięć lat temu ... ale muszą one za nami gdzieś ".

Spojrzał w dal ponownie.

Ford spojrzał z nim i dał przemyślane marszcząc brwi.

"O ile oczywiście", powiedział cicho: "zostali zjedzeni przez kozła ..."

"Ach tak ..." powiedział kapitan z lekkim wahania pełzającego w jego głosie, "koza ..." Jego oczy przeszło stałych kształty instrumentów i komputerów, które wyłożonych przez most. Oni mrugnął dala niewinnie na niego. Wpatrywał się w gwiazdy, ale żaden z nich nie powiedział ani słowa. Spojrzał na oficerów pierwszym i drugim, ale wydawało się zagubieni w swoich własnych myśli przez chwilę. Spojrzał na Ford Prefect, który uniósł brwi na niego.

"To zabawne wiesz", powiedział kapitan w końcu ", ale teraz, kiedy faktycznie się opowiedzieć komuś innemu ..."

Douglas Adams, Restauracja na końcu wszechświata

via google translate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on June 10, 2012, 06:58:08 PM
society needs telephone cleaners

When was the last time someone grabbed your cellphone out of your hand and cleaned it for you ?   <_<

edit:
does that mean all the telephone sanitisers have been sent elsewhere ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I saw a thing on TV about how bad hydroelectric was for the environment. I think we're all supposed to just go back to living in caves.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2012, 02:48:08 PM

I love you too, Seedee. The best and brightest of the US police forces.

Viking

Quote from: mongers on June 10, 2012, 07:06:43 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 10, 2012, 06:58:08 PM
society needs telephone cleaners

When was the last time someone grabbed your cellphone out of your hand and cleaned it for you ?   <_<

edit:
does that mean all the telephone sanitisers have been sent elsewhere ? :unsure:

They are all on the B-Ark
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2012, 07:50:36 AMin fact, they're building about 10 new nuclear plants in the UK.
Really? If you can trust Wiki, you are currently building 0 new plants and only have a plans for a couple new ones.