News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Full time job? Consider yourself lucky

Started by CountDeMoney, June 04, 2012, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2012, 01:48:23 PM
What should we do when one of our cousins loafs?

Well sometimes helping your cousin may mean being tough love -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2012, 12:21:45 PM
It's a balance.  Sometimes people do need to be able to fail in order to learn their lesson.

You need both a carrot and a stick.

Yep.  Being an enabler is not helping.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2012, 01:50:46 PM

What does that mean?

What is wrong with loafing? Working hard doesn't get you anything anyway - it is mostly just luck. Might as well loaf. If things work out, awesome. If not, hey, you just can't catch a break, whaddya gonna do?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2012, 01:52:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2012, 01:50:46 PM

What does that mean?

What is wrong with loafing? Working hard doesn't get you anything anyway - it is mostly just luck. Might as well loaf. If things work out, awesome. If not, hey, you just can't catch a break, whaddya gonna do?

Well actually its all shitty at the end of the day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2012, 02:04:40 PMWell actually its all shitty at the end of the day.

Exactly. Your philosophy of "everyone for himself, grab your happiness and fuck the world" leads to shittiness, especially for yourself.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 08, 2012, 04:02:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2012, 02:04:40 PMWell actually its all shitty at the end of the day.

Exactly. Your philosophy of "everyone for himself, grab your happiness and fuck the world" leads to shittiness, especially for yourself.

That isn't my philosophy but rather what it seems like makes more sense in Ide's posited world.

Personally, I don't think of the world as a horrible, shitty place. And really a great reason to help others is that you can effect change and make it an even better place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2012, 01:52:33 PM

If I knew you weren't kidding I'd have to say you just got a Union job.  :secret:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2012, 11:48:01 PM
Therefore it makes more sense to suppose that we're all in this shitty, chaotic world together and to help each other to the best of our abilities, not to cry "personal responsibility!" when one of our cousins stumbles, or--as is at least as often the case--pushed.

Be content that he has relaxed some of the pressure on a very tight job market?

Quote from: BerkutBut you can only control one of those, so it makes sense to focus on the thing you can control, rather than the things you cannot.

On an individual basis, I agree.  But on a societal basis, that is a high-level policy basis, you suggest a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote from: garbonNot really as I'm not saying that other people can't also have happiness, it just seems like in such a shitty world, people would be inured to the pain of their cousins as its a common occurrence. So why feel compelled to help each other out if the world is still going to be shitty at the end of the day?

One day, it wouldn't be.  That's the point.

QuotePersonally, I don't think of the world as a horrible, shitty place. And really a great reason to help others is that you can effect change and make it an even better place.

:hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

I'd be happier with a full-time job right now.  Of course, I'd also be happier with a job that paid more than the one I've got now. <_<
Experience bij!