News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's morning in Wisconsin

Started by citizen k, June 05, 2012, 10:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2012, 12:54:49 PM
Well, given what Alfred, derSpiess and Berkut have said about the demographics of suburban schools versus troubled urban schools, it seems to me that the urban schools are on the front lines of dealing with a number of the biggest social issues facing the US today. If a large part of the student body comes from difficult family situations, don't speak English, are from environments that devalue education, and/or are facing significant issues coming from poverty/ drug abuse/ nutrition etc, it seems that threatening to take away resources from schools with the most challenged student bodies would be counter productive; and isn't that what standards competition is about?

You know what, you're right.  We should definitely throw good money after bad.  It can only help, right?  Like in Kansas City, for example...

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-298.html

edit: Some more recent info from what you'll probably consider a more agreeable source:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/18/147067123/kansas-citys-failed-schools-leave-students-behind
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

When you talk about schools competing, where's the incentive to be competitive?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 12:24:40 PM
I think the long-term goal is to either close down the shitty schools or force them to compete and become less shitty.

But how and why?  They will still be getting money from the vouchers and they will have all the worst students, the other schools are not going to want them and people are unlikely to start new schools to take such high risk kids.

It may work this was just always my main concern.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on June 06, 2012, 01:02:23 PM
When you talk about schools competing, where's the incentive to be competitive?

Loss of funding (i.e., pay/jobs) for teachers & administrators in under-performing schools/districts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 01:05:55 PM
Loss of funding (i.e., pay/jobs) for teachers & administrators in under-performing schools/districts.

So...the schools will just keep getting worse for the worst students?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2012, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 01:05:55 PM

So...the schools will just keep getting worse for the worst students?

Why would the worst students stay in the underperforming schools though, rather than switch to a better school?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 12:59:57 PMYou know what, you're right.  We should definitely throw good money after bad.  It can only help, right?  Like in Kansas City, for example...

I haven't suggested throwing good money after bad  :huh:

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2012, 01:04:31 PM
But how and why?  They will still be getting money from the vouchers and they will have all the worst students, the other schools are not going to want them and people are unlikely to start new schools to take such high risk kids.

It may work this was just always my main concern.

I think you lost me.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 01:08:29 PM
Why would the worst students stay in the underperforming schools though, rather than switch to a better school?

Because the better school wouldn't want them.  Unless schools are compelled to take every student who wants to go there somehow but that would not be physically possible...

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2012, 01:09:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 12:59:57 PMYou know what, you're right.  We should definitely throw good money after bad.  It can only help, right?  Like in Kansas City, for example...

I haven't suggested throwing good money after bad  :huh:

Yeah, pretty much-- by continuing to fund failing schools.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 01:09:17 PM
I think you lost me.

Good schools will have lots of students wanting to go there.  They will take the best applicants and on down the line.  The worst schools will get the high risk kids and there we are.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2012, 01:11:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 01:09:17 PM
I think you lost me.

Good schools will have lots of students wanting to go there.  They will take the best applicants and on down the line.  The worst schools will get the high risk kids and there we are.

Well, in that case at least the better students will have opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have.  In the meantime, I doubt the worse schools will just sit on their hands and not try to improve to get the better students (and funding) back.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 01:08:29 PMWhy would the worst students stay in the underperforming schools though, rather than switch to a better school?

Isn't the issue that some student demographics tend to drag down overall school performance, rather than terrible teachers and administrators?

I mean, I know that that's a discussion that's pretty landmine filled and all, but if there's something to that - if the social circumstances of the student body makes it harder for them to achieve good results compared to other student bodies - it seems that shuffling those students around (or depriving them of resources because their school is under performing) would do little to address the quality of education.

It's not a guaranteed outcome of course, but it seems to me that one of the risks of such a system is that the students who need the least resources to excel will get the most resources showered on them, while the weakest students in need of the most support will get the least resources. I'm not saying it's inevitable, but I think it's a real risk that any solution should at least attempt to address.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
Well, in that case at least the better students will have opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have.  In the meantime, I doubt the worse schools will just sit on their hands and not try to improve to get the better students (and funding) back.

The first thing you said is true and it is a positive.  But it groups all the best students in one location which could encourage mediocrity elsewhere (I mean...not that we need any help with that....)

But I fail to see how these bad schools are going to heroically right the ship, they are bad schools for a reason and have only underperforming and/or behavior problem kids is not going to help.

It will help alot of individual kids, and that is good, but I wonder if the overall situation will be any better.  I have my doubts BUT we will see.  I just want to see it play out someplace where they try it and see how it goes.  Certainly something needs to be done.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2012, 01:15:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 01:08:29 PMWhy would the worst students stay in the underperforming schools though, rather than switch to a better school?

Isn't the issue that some student demographics tend to drag down overall school performance, rather than terrible teachers and administrators?

I mean, I know that that's a discussion that's pretty landmine filled and all, but if there's something to that - if the social circumstances of the student body makes it harder for them to achieve good results compared to other student bodies - it seems that shuffling those students around (or depriving them of resources because their school is under performing) would do little to address the quality of education.

It's not a guaranteed outcome of course, but it seems to me that one of the risks of such a system is that the students who need the least resources to excel will get the most resources showered on them, while the weakest students in need of the most support will get the least resources. I'm not saying it's inevitable, but I think it's a real risk that any solution should at least attempt to address.

In the Swedish system all schools (that are in the voucher system, there are still private schools for the rich with tuition and they don't get voucher money) get the same amount of money per student. Students with special needs (disabilities) get a bigger voucher.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.