So apparently I tried to buy an XBox last week in Pittsburgh

Started by MadImmortalMan, June 05, 2012, 12:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2012, 12:53:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2012, 12:16:30 PM
I see this happen.  A lot.  Trust no one with any of your information, always be careful which online merchants you buy from, and live with the expectation that it's going to happen sometime or another.

I've been lucky.  The only time I had to put through a chargeback on one of my own cards was about 8 years ago when I was out with some friends and the waitress tried to stick me with the bill from the table next to us that left without paying.  Wasn't the end of the world, but it pissed me off to no end once I put 2 & 2 together.

Really?  WTF.

It's not like wait staff eats the loss--or at least, not in any restaurant I can think of, and I don't think management could even try to force them to (it would be like Wal-Mart charging cashiers for any shoplifting that occurred on their shift, or a car dealership charging a salesman for a test drive that ended with the car in a ditch).  So if she did that just for the tip, that's really insane.  If I'm incorrect and it was to cover a $50 loss, she really needs a new job, although I wouldn't expect she'd get one, what with being a fucking thief.
It is at a bunch of places, to make sure they dont give free food or booze to their friends.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 12:08:48 PM
Hence, why I don't own credit cards.  Good luck spoofing my check card and my kept-low-on-purpose account balance.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264464/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on June 05, 2012, 01:59:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 12:08:48 PM
Hence, why I don't own credit cards.  Good luck spoofing my check card and my kept-low-on-purpose account balance.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264464/

I operate on a cash economy.  If it's good enough for the Mob, it's good enough for me.

Valmy

Yeah I do cash now as well.

I find I spend less that way.  My budget thanks me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Yeah, waitstaff are almost always responsible if they come up short.  Not sure about a particular place and a proven and reported dine-and-dash.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 02:07:17 PM
I operate on a cash economy.  If it's good enough for the Mob, it's good enough for me.

Eww.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on June 05, 2012, 01:12:54 PMWhich must be a bitch when doing some tourism.
I almost exclusively use my credit card for tourism. I think the only thing I pay with it in Germany are train and airplane tickets, because that's more convenient with a credit card. If they blocked it whenever I use it in strange places like Cambodia or Ethiopia or so, I would not have any use for it.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on June 05, 2012, 01:12:54 PMWhich must be a bitch when doing some tourism.

When I travel and expect to use my visa card, I call them and let them know the dates and country... usually I do it as I'm waiting to board the plane. Before I started that habit, I'd have overseas transactions declined on occasion.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2012, 01:31:23 PM
Here's how it went down...

Good on you for getting your money back. I guess they didn't make you sign the bill from the dine and dash table, or otherwise you'd have noticed it was closer to $70 rather than the expected $12?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on June 05, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2012, 01:31:23 PM
Here's how it went down...

Good on you for getting your money back. I guess they didn't make you sign the bill from the dine and dash table, or otherwise you'd have noticed it was closer to $70 rather than the expected $12?

I would have definitely noticed the difference, yes.  Plus I would have had to sign two different tabs, which also would have raised a flag with me ;)

When I called Jillian's, I kept asking for the manager to show me a copy of the $68 check with my signature on it, and he just played dumb & said they don't keep those.  Riiight.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on June 05, 2012, 02:33:09 PM
Cash? WTF

Actual, tactile and tangible legal tender for all debts public and private has not failed anyone for over 10,000 years. 
Conversely, the concept of imaginary currency is the principle reason our economies are as fucked up as they are.

And you're going to WTF me?

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2012, 02:36:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 05, 2012, 02:33:09 PM
Cash? WTF

Actual, tactile and tangible legal tender for all debts public and private has not failed anyone for over 10,000 years. 
Conversely, the concept of imaginary currency is the principle reason our economies are as fucked up as they are.

And you're going to WTF me?

:rolleyes: Yes yes and the gold standard is teh r0xx0rz.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Apparently I tried to get credit on an iPod Touch at my old address last week, which triggered a credit alert, fortunately. Uniquely unambitious I feel - after I got my handbag stolen someone used my driving licence to get a 42" TV.