Question about nuclear reactors in hurricane prone areas

Started by Razgovory, June 04, 2012, 05:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

An odd question, I know, but I was wondering.  What do coastal states prone to hurricanes that have nuclear reactors do when a hurricane looks like it may damage the reactor?  I notice there are several reactors in Florida, Georgia, S. Carolina, Louisiana and Texas, some of which are fairly close to the ocean.  I imagine there always a possibility for flooding, wind damage, or the reactor becoming isolated due to flooding and storm damage.  Do they power them down, before a hurricane strike or do they just batten down the hatches?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

They batten down the hatches.  In some instances--and there is a very liberal, safety-conscious attitude about it--they'll take them offline if the winds reach XXmph or there is enough vibration to trigger an emergency event, and they shut them down.
Hell, CCNPP automatically shut down one of its reactors in the middle of Hurricane Irene when a piece of siding hit one of the plant's transformers.

Nukes are very twitchy like that.

Jaron

If the Japs can have 'em in Tsunami Earthquake land, we can afford to have a few in Hurricaneland.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

They're perfectly safe. Unlike the perfectly legal non-hurricane-proof dwellings in hurricane areas that regularly get people killed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.