News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '12-13

Started by grumbler, June 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Does anyone think Arizona has any chance to knock off Oregon in Eugene.

I...don't. Not really.

Arizona is clearly a better team than anyone though before the season began, but not THAT much better. Still crazy thin at key positions, and the defense is still suspect.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

That is the team RichRod took over, right? He'll recruit midgets on D.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

I see PAC-12 slugfest aka 55-42 score :P

Ed yeah RichRod is the new man down there.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Yep, you'll see midgets. Tiny wee players.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2012, 08:26:40 PM

I...don't. Not really.

Arizona is clearly a better team than anyone though before the season began, but not THAT much better. Still crazy thin at key positions, and the defense is still suspect.

Yes.  I think they can.  Oregon will probably win, sure, but Arizona has a shot imo. 

CountDeMoney

I...don't. Not really.

I dunno, man.  Scott's performance can cover up a lot of weaknesses with that wide open offense, and they're already in the top 20 in points scored and have got to be up there in passing yards. 
And OSU isn't pigeon food, either.  That was a quality win., and pitching a shutout against anybody in Division I is nothing to sneeze at.

Just gotta catch Oregon on a bad day and take advantage of turnovers, and that's possible.  They have to keep finding the end zone, though, because Oregon sure as shit will.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 16, 2012, 08:22:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2012, 08:14:24 PM
I watch it all.

And you would to, if your alma mater's program's singular highlights are 1) Sean Landeta, and 2) the Kent State game.

Hey, I remember seeing Towson in the playoffs last year.  They can't be that bad, right?  Not on TV a lot though, I suppose.

DONT YOU PATRONIZE ME

Tiger Pride :bleeding:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2012, 08:34:46 PM
DONT YOU PATRONIZE ME

Tiger Pride :bleeding:

:lol: 

I really do watch the 1AA playoffs though.  They're the shit. 

Eddie Teach

Georgia is also 3-0, though I'll refrain from getting my hopes up yet as the strongest team they've played is Missouri.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

I...don't. Not really.

Yeah I think they definitely have a shot.

Oregon hasn't really been tested all year.  The one time they even came close, when Fresno State got within 16 in the 4th quarter, the Ducks had a nice 10 play drive to put the game away.  The fact that they needed that drive against Fresno State, the best team they have played, says enough.

I hope they come out and boat race Arizona, but I haven't seen anything in the first three weeks, from either team, that would lead me to believe that would happen.  The Ducks struggled against sub-par competition after jumping out to big leads in their first two games, they did better against Tennessee Tech on Saturday.  Until I see differently I think any legitimate Pac-12 team has a shot to come into Eugene and win if they play very well and Arizona looks to be even better than that.

If I had to bet a paycheck on a straight up winner of the game I would take Oregon.  I haven't seen the early line yet but I am guessing the point spread is too big and I would probably take Arizona and the points blind right now.  I just can't wait to sit down and watch a Ducks game where there is any doubt about the outcome at all.  It should be fun, Oregon/Arizona usually is.

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on September 16, 2012, 07:33:39 PM
Can we all agree that Big East is less
Stable than Big XII. Ffs

True, but ND is contributing to that instability!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

What's Rich Rod doing on defense at 'zona? I know he hired his former DC from West Virginia, from what I remember Casteel had three good defenses in something like ten years. His first two years he was playing with Nehlen defensive recruits, and Nehlen always took defense seriously. Then I believe his last year under Holgorsen Casteel had a strong defense. But Rodriguez was infamous for cannibalizing defensive recruiting, and even over-recruiting small fast guys in hopes they would work out at the offensive skill positions...and then dumping the ones who didn't onto the defense.

Rodriguez's way created teams that could beat top-tier opponents (Oklahoma, Georgia in the Sugar / Fiesta bowls) but mostly just on the virtue of having extremely fast offenses that were difficult for anyone to stop. If a team like Oregon can be successful in the Pac-10 then most likely a Rodriguez style team could be as well, but it's very difficult to win games with that system against opponents who have dominating offensive line play and a strong power running game.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2012, 07:59:30 PM
I had the impression last year Michigan was playing with their pants on fire but this year have been a little off the newness of the new coaching regime had worn off a bit.  But actually what do I know really...all I see are Michigan scores I have not watched them play yet.

They are a better team overall this year, but lost some key players on both lines that will take some time to replace, and the schedule is a lot tougher this year.  So, Michigan will have a better team but a worse record.

The weakness of the Big Ten this year may well mean that a 9-3 Michigan could win the conference.  At 8-4, I doubt it, but it is barely possible (and, then again, there will be several 8-4 B10 teams, so the 8-4 champ might not be Michigan).

I think you will be surprised at how good Denard Robinson is at passing this year.  He's really only made two bad throws so far.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2012, 08:18:58 PM
Arizona is 3-0, and ranked. At least for a little while longer.

The Zona defense looks better than I thought it would.

QuoteWhy you guys are focusing on stuff like the Big 12 and their stability or lack thereof in light of that is simply beyond me.
Me, too.  Especially all the name-calling and strawman-building.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 17, 2012, 06:12:42 AM
What's Rich Rod doing on defense at 'zona? I know he hired his former DC from West Virginia, from what I remember Casteel had three good defenses in something like ten years. His first two years he was playing with Nehlen defensive recruits, and Nehlen always took defense seriously. Then I believe his last year under Holgorsen Casteel had a strong defense. But Rodriguez was infamous for cannibalizing defensive recruiting, and even over-recruiting small fast guys in hopes they would work out at the offensive skill positions...and then dumping the ones who didn't onto the defense.

Rodriguez's way created teams that could beat top-tier opponents (Oklahoma, Georgia in the Sugar / Fiesta bowls) but mostly just on the virtue of having extremely fast offenses that were difficult for anyone to stop. If a team like Oregon can be successful in the Pac-10 then most likely a Rodriguez style team could be as well, but it's very difficult to win games with that system against opponents who have dominating offensive line play and a strong power running game.

Teams like Oklahoma State you mean?

I don't know about RickRod was "infamous" for, but his 3-3-5 defense is certainly predicated on the idea that he wants speed over size everywhere but on the defensive line.

If his defense means Arizona will only be able to go 10-2 and win our conference and contend now and again for a title, but will struggle against teams with a power running game, I think that is a sacrifice I might be willing to accept.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned