News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '12-13

Started by grumbler, June 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2012, 08:18:06 AM
Dunno why you are so butthurt about the Big 12's problems.  Yeah, they just signed a TV deal, but they had a TV deal when they lost 1/3 of their membership.  You can feel free to argue that the Big 12 looks as stable for the future as the ACC, but don't expect everyone to buy it.

No we signed a pact of steel.  I do not see why stating the facts of the situation means we are butthurt.  But you keep harping on the fact we just lost four teams.  Um so I guess by your logic we were MORE stable in 2010 and LESS stable now?  I thought stability meant the future not the past.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2012, 05:18:22 PM
The grant of rights/assignment of rights that the Big 12 schools have signed is the same as the Big Ten and Pac Ten/Twelve have used for years.  What it means is that the school that leaves doesn't take its TV money with it.  Clearly, it gives the conference a lot more leverage to make a departure expensive if it wants, which is why conferences want them.  It doesn't make departure impossible, though.

Wait so stability means it is impossible to depart?  THen I guess no conference is stable.  Way to move the goal posts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2012, 06:59:51 PM
No we signed a pact of steel.  I do not see why stating the facts of the situation means we are butthurt.  But you keep harping on the fact we just lost four teams.  Um so I guess by your logic we were MORE stable in 2010 and LESS stable now?  I thought stability meant the future not the past.

You signed a deal that is fairly typical for some major conferences, after just undergoing huge turmoil.  I mentioned the four teams just once.  Your 2010 stability to now stability logic makes no sense to me: wanna explain it further?  My comparison was between the Big 12 going forward and the ACC, for purposes of explaining what might have been part of ND's reasoning.

Schools like ND think in the long term.  What happens top you in 13 years?  Does the Pact of Steel somehow outlive the assignment of rights agreement?  Or, in 13 years, are we going to again see a situation where you have to sign a retroactive deal because it takes six months for you to agree to the deal you negotiated?

I've got nothing against the Big 12.  I just don't get the namecalling when I point out that, to a school like ND, it doesn't look as stable as the ACC.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2012, 07:01:22 PM
Wait so stability means it is impossible to depart?  THen I guess no conference is stable.  Way to move the goal posts.

Wait; so stability means it is impossible to depart?  THen I guess no conference is stable.  Way to move the goal posts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Can we all agree that Big East is less
Stable than Big XII. Ffs
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on September 16, 2012, 07:33:39 PM
Stable than Big XII. Ffs

:lol:  No, because I like to watch MBM and Valmy flip the fuck out over the slightest criticism of anything Texas is even remotely connected to.

katmai

I knew couldn't count on you, you instigator.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

I am merely a bemused spectator.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2012, 07:34:41 PM
:lol:  No, because I like to watch MBM and Valmy flip the fuck out over the slightest criticism of anything Texas is even remotely connected to.

:lol: If you think calling someone a douche and a jerkoff after he responds to a perfectly reasonable post the way that he did is flipping the fuck out over something Texas is connected to (without any mention of Texas anywhere), I don't know what to tell you.  OvB is right though.  I should have just done what I normally do when that guy starts acting like a bitch and just scroll on by.  vOv

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on September 16, 2012, 07:33:39 PM
Stable than Big XII. Ffs

Yes we can agree on that :P

MadBurgerMaker

How many years until UTSA gets their Big East invite as a replacement for some poached school?  :hmm:

Ed Anger

Just mention Appalachian state.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2012, 07:27:48 PM
Wait; so stability means it is impossible to depart?  THen I guess no conference is stable.  Way to move the goal posts.

Ok so the why did you make that point if it had nothing to do with what you were saying?

You know what?  Nevermind if you just have to think the BIg 12 is unstable for whatever reason regardless of the fact it is quite stable that is your business.  What is true, and I think a major factor in ND's decision is that the Big 12 is not a strong academic conference while the ACC is and I believe that was brought up three separate times in the press conference just to underline the point.  Also the Big 12 were not going to give ND access to the Big 12's bowls which was another deciding factor.

And in any case I didn't really want a half-kinda-sorta conference member anyway.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2012, 08:24:34 AM
Don't disagree, but also don't know what a "Sophmore slumping Michigan" is.

If we can now move on to other matters actually related to play on the field :P

I had the impression last year Michigan was playing with their pants on fire but this year have been a little off the newness of the new coaching regime had worn off a bit.  But actually what do I know really...all I see are Michigan scores I have not watched them play yet.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2012, 07:52:26 PM
the Big 12's bowls

Speaking of which, did you see Houston got the high bid for the Champions Bowl (is that the permanent name?)?   Nice, easy road trip over there for a big time bowl game if they end up getting it.