New York mayor seeks ban on sale of big sugary drinks

Started by garbon, May 31, 2012, 09:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Bloomberg should use this challenge to justify a 4th term as mayor.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2013, 03:35:33 PM
:nelson:  Go to hell, Bloomie.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323826704578354543929974394.html

QuoteJudge Halts New York City Soda Ban

A state judge on Monday stopped Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration from banning the sale of large sugary drinks at New York City restaurants and other venues, a major defeat for a mayor who has made public-health initiatives a cornerstone of his tenure.

DOUBLE  :nelson:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

The law hath struck a mighty blow for freedom ... to be fat.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I bet all the fatties would be jumping from joy over this decision, if they still could.

Eddie Teach

I can jump perfectly fine, but then I'm good with 12 ounces at a time.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on March 11, 2013, 05:28:53 PM
The law hath struck a mighty blow for freedom ... to be fat.  :D

No kidding, right?  It's funny to see critics who complain about those individuals leeching the healthcare system by not exercising personal responsibility are defending their right not to be forced to exercise personal responsibility.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2013, 05:42:53 PM
No kidding, right?  It's funny to see critics who complain about those individuals leeching the healthcare system by not exercising personal responsibility are defending their right not to be forced to exercise personal responsibility.

It's a good cause, but you gotta play by the rules.  If this had gone through the city council, it might not even be an issue.
Experience bij!

garbon

A 7-11 opened on my way to work where I now routinely see college aged kids buying double gulps at 9am. I'm glad we kept our freedoms to obesity and diabetes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Two gulps isn't that much fluid. I doubt I could down a 12 oz can that quick.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 10:37:26 PM
Cry me a river.

No need. We can just have our tax monies go to footing their care. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 20, 2013, 10:38:11 PM
Two gulps isn't that much fluid. I doubt I could down a 12 oz can that quick.  :hmm:

I'd throw up after drinking that. Fucking ridiculous.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Apparently the double gulp shrank from 64 oz to 50 oz so it could fit in cup holders...

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 10:44:38 PM
Apparently the double gulp shrank from 64 oz to 50 oz so it could fit in cup holders...

User friendly to the auto industry.  :lol: Thing is I've known people that drink two to three of those during the week. :yuk:

MadImmortalMan

There has to be 400-500 calories in that thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers