New York mayor seeks ban on sale of big sugary drinks

Started by garbon, May 31, 2012, 09:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 24, 2013, 10:48:07 AM
The whole point of the measure is to try and reign in our bad behavior by attacking the pocket book if you want to persist.

How European.

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/starbucks-balks-nyc-sugary-drink-ban-amid-confusion-202906496--politics.html

QuoteStarbucks balks at NYC sugary drink ban amid confusion over law's enforcement

The coffee giant Starbucks says it won't immediately comply with the ban on large sugary drinks set to go in effect next week in New York City, citing ongoing legal attempts to overturn the regulation and the company's belief that most of their products are not subject to the ban.

The coffee chain's announcement comes amid criticism from restaurants, bars, movie theaters, bodegas and others subject to the law. New York City officials haven't fully explained how the regulation, set to go into effect March 12, will be enforced.

"We believe that majority of our products fall outside of the ban given the ability of our customers to customize their beverage," Starbucks said in a statement to Yahoo News. "As there is still ongoing litigation regarding the regulation, we're not making any immediate changes at this time. We are evaluating which changes we may need to make to our recipes and product offerings and will be using this three-month evaluation period to make the appropriate changes for our customers and to fully comply with the new beverage restrictions."

Championed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg as a way to fight the city's growing obesity epidemic, the new regulation limits the sale of sugary beverages including non-diet sodas, fruit drinks, sweetened teas and other high-calorie drinks to just 16 ounces. The ban does not cover drinks that are more than 50 percent milk—a rule Starbucks believes exempts its popular Frappuccino drink, which has been criticized by health advocates for its high sugar content.

Opponents of the law, including the American Beverage Association, National Association of Theater Owners, the National Restaurant Association and other trade groups, have filed a lawsuit asking for it to be thrown out, in part because it creates an uneven playing field for businesses.

For example, while restaurants and delis regulated by the city Health Department are banned from selling large sugary drinks, a customer can still buy a 32-oz Big Gulp at 7-Eleven because the store is regulated as a market by the state of New York, not by the city.

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 04:26:49 PM
Will Americans fight for the right to be fat?

Only if they can get up off their asses ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 06, 2013, 04:32:27 PM

Hang on.  Give me a second...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Here in Laramie, about a decade ago, the smoking ban in bars and restaurants idea went up for a vote.  Most of the smokers I know never worked up the will to go vote against it and it passed by less than 100 votes.  Their blood angried up, the smokers got a new vote the next election, but by then the realization that food and drink without clouds of smoke was actually more enjoyable meant an overwhelming support for the ban.

Hod bless apathy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DontSayBanana

Friday night, I was getting out of my car in NYC holding a 24 oz. can of Monster.  First thought: "it tastes like illegal." :P
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 06, 2013, 10:44:12 PM
Friday night, I was getting out of my car in NYC holding a 24 oz. can of Monster.  First thought: "it tastes like illegal." :P

Except that grocery and convenience stores are exempt. :hmm:

That said, they should have reprimanded you for poor taste.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I'm gonna walk down Broadway drinking a 2-Liter of Coke, daring a cop to arrest me!

:shifty:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2013, 11:20:40 PM
Except that grocery and convenience stores are exempt. :hmm:

That said, they should have reprimanded you for poor taste.

It was a long day.  I was falling asleep on my feet by the time I got up there. :blush:
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2013, 11:28:59 PM
I'm gonna walk down Broadway drinking a 2-Liter of Coke, daring a cop to arrest me!

Fashion police?

derspiess

Richard Hakluyt

I expect they'll just roll over on this one.

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2013, 11:28:59 PM

You'd be just inviting a drone strike! 

derspiess

:nelson:  Go to hell, Bloomie.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323826704578354543929974394.html

QuoteJudge Halts New York City Soda Ban

A state judge on Monday stopped Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration from banning the sale of large sugary drinks at New York City restaurants and other venues, a major defeat for a mayor who has made public-health initiatives a cornerstone of his tenure.