New York mayor seeks ban on sale of big sugary drinks

Started by garbon, May 31, 2012, 09:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

If people got rid of the wheat, sugar and all those rancid vegetable oils in their diets that would cover about 90% of the current obesity epidemic.

Of course doing so means almost everything that comes in a box these days would be off the table.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

My sister has developed a penchant for growing her own stuff now, and has been raising chickens.  I'm surprised how much smaller "natural" eggs are, as opposed to the mega XL white industrial eggs.

The chickens are hilarious, though.  Except for the time when a hungry ass hawk decided to walk right into the coop through the little coop door, and pulled one of those juicy fuckers right the fuck out.  Inside the coop looked like a CSI scene, splatter patterns everywhere. Didn't know chickens don't lay eggs for a couple days due to the trauma of witnessing a homicide.

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2012, 06:18:06 AM
My sister has developed a penchant for growing her own stuff now, and has been raising chickens.  I'm surprised how much smaller "natural" eggs are, as opposed to the mega XL white industrial eggs.

Those eggs also have more A and D vitamins and a much better O3 to O6 fatty acid profile. And I bet she dosen't give her chickens soybean feed.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on June 01, 2012, 06:29:33 AM
And I bet she dosen't give her chickens soybean feed.

Nope, they eat totally healthy.

Tell you what, though--quite a few of them would make very fine roasters.  :ph34r:

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2012, 06:32:44 AM

Tell you what, though--quite a few of them would make very fine roasters.  :ph34r:

Next time you visit, bring an axe.  :shifty:

CountDeMoney

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

lustindarkness

Where will the nanny state stop? It should be the individual's choice to eat and drink whatever they want as long as it does not hurt others. Just like seatbelt laws, let the stupid kill themselves off for the good of the gene pool. Doesn't NYC have bigger problems to deal with?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 01, 2012, 09:08:33 AM
Where will the nanny state stop? It should be the individual's choice to eat and drink whatever they want as long as it does not hurt others. Just like seatbelt laws, let the stupid kill themselves off for the good of the gene pool. Doesn't NYC have bigger problems to deal with?
That philosophy works to a certain point.  However, when the stupid are killing themselves in large numbers, practical considerations should take over, and the assumption of rationality should be dropped as unsupported in such cases.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2012, 10:03:47 AM
At this rate, the NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene will become one of the world's largest paramilitary units.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission will always reign supreme.  It could single handedly solve the unrest in Mexico if it wasn't so busy fighting the Battle of the Booze.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

You know what I love?  When I put something heavy in the passenger seat and then my car freaks the fuck out because it thinks somebody didn't buckle up.  I look forward to the day when my car starts narcing on me to the cops for it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2012, 09:19:21 AM

Yeah, that's always fun.  There's supposed to be a way to disable that in my car but I've yet to figure it out.  For now I just leave that seat belt buckled.

You know what I love?  When I put something heavy in the passenger seat and then my car freaks the fuck out because it thinks somebody didn't buckle up.  I look forward to the day when my car starts narcing on me to the cops for it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Seatbelt laws are a pretty good example for the nanny state though.

There's literally no reason not to where a seatbelt.  It takes mere seconds to put on and off.  People didn't like to wear them though because they weren't in the habit of wearing them.  So government makes wearing a seatbelt a requirement.  People grumbled and complained, but now most people do wear their seatbelts.

Now is this law a good idea?  Well on the one hand there is, like seatbelts, literally no healthy reason for someone to be drinking a 64 ounce sugary soda.  But there's also no reason to be drinking a 64 ounce diet soda either.  It seems like this law would hard to enforce, with too many exceptions to make it worthwhile.

But by all means - lets experiment.  See what happens in NYC, and if it doesn't work, repeal it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2012, 09:19:21 AM

:yes:

I'm like, bitch shut up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

I agree with Guller. Ideally, the government would not get involved in these sort of personal dietary decisions. Practically, however, so many people are making so many stupid decisions that it has become a societal problem that will only get worse if nothing is done.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.