In '86 terrorism exercise, Feds failed & nuclear device 'destroyed' Indianapolis

Started by jimmy olsen, May 29, 2012, 05:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Not exactly reassuring.  :hmm:

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/29/11940139-in-86-exercise-nuclear-device-destroyed-downtown-indianapolis?lite
QuoteIn '86 exercise, nuclear device 'destroyed' downtown Indianapolis

By Bill Dedman
Investigative Reporter, msnbc.com

We've seen them in the movies, but now we can read the real-life history of America's nuclear warriors, the Nuclear Emergency Search Team, known as NEST. The story of NEST, which would protect the U.S. in the case of an attempt at nuclear extortion or terrorism, is told in declassified documents published Tuesday.

The 69 documents, released under the federal Freedom of Information Act, were published by the National Security Archive, a respected research organization at George Washington University. (More about the National Security Archive.)
They tell the story of MIGHTY DERRINGER, a training exercise in 1986 in which NEST attempted to find a nuclear device smuggled into Indianapolis. In the training scenario, the device was detonated, destroying 20 blocks of downtown Indianapolis.

The archive said the documents "offer the first detailed public look at the inner workings of the agencies, military units and other U.S. entities responsible for protecting the country from a terrorist nuclear attack."

And they reveal problems that can arise in coordinating the many organizations that would respond to such an attack: problems of bomb detection, interagency coordination, containment of contamination and general "confusion."

"While the MIGHTY DERRINGER exercise and resulting documents are over two decades old," the archive said, "the institutions participating in the exercise retain their roles today, and the issues confronting them in 1986 are similar to the ones that they would face in responding to a nuclear threat in 2012 (and beyond)."

You can read all 69 documents at this page from the National Security Archive.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nukevault/ebb380/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

On the downside the feds failed in a terrorism excercize and on the other downside Indianapolis survived.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Why couldn't it have been a real shithole, like Terre Haute?

I hear they were just about to get a public library....
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on May 30, 2012, 04:18:20 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 29, 2012, 11:16:17 PM
I thought the lizards nuked Indianapolis.  :hmm: