News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does "hero" mean to you?

Started by merithyn, May 27, 2012, 04:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

It's that time of year again. Memorial Day always brings about the most headlines with the word "hero" emblazoned. Only recently, however, have I bothered to figure out what makes a hero a hero to me.

I used to think that it was someone who prevented another from dying either directly or indirectly. The problem with that is that I consider my mother a hero, mostly because she refrained from killing me when I was a teenager, but also because she overcame terrible odds and raised three really great people. I also consider my foster mother a hero, because she gave so much of herself to help us while getting nothing in return.

So my definition of hero has had to change. Now, I'd say that a hero is someone who gives of themselves to help another while not considering a return on that investment. A hero may get something for doing what they do, but that's not what drives them to help.

How about you? :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger is my hero.  He knows why.

Admiral Yi

A person who assumes substantial risk for the benefit of others.

Jaron

Someone who does something because it is right despite great personal peril or disadvantages; One need not to be a warrior to be a hero. <_<
Winner of THE grumbler point.

PDH

Anyone who serves in the military.  Even the Air Force.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Anyone who has superhuman powers and uses them to fight crime.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Someone who by demonstrating superior moral or physical courage inspires such courage in others who are aspiring towards the same beneficial end.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on May 27, 2012, 05:21:10 PM
Anyone who serves in the military.  Even the Air Force.

Even William Calley?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Ditch the tomato and the onions, then yes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Ironically I had one of them in Cleveland, too (sans onions).  I dub Cleveland "OSSUM SANDWICH SHITHOLE CITY".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2012, 07:02:08 PM
Ironically I had one of them in Cleveland, too (sans onions).  I dub Cleveland "OSSUM SANDWICH SHITHOLE CITY".

OH IO!

You should have went to Toledo for Packo's. You'd love it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".