Was America better off with drunk, uneducated congressmen?

Started by Syt, May 27, 2012, 05:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 28, 2012, 09:59:20 PM
Quote from: dps on May 28, 2012, 01:05:30 PM
Is there any actual evidence that members of Congress as a whole drink less now than they did in the 1950s?

Everybody drinks less in America than they did in the 50s, don't see why Congress would necessarily be an exception.  IIRC, the 1830s were the peak for US booze consumption, averaging out to 5-6 drinks a day per man, woman, and child, and it's been downhill ever since, with a couple of small upturns (German breweries at the end of the 19th C. and then the 1970s).

I was under the impression that alcohol consumption among Americans as a whole had risen since the 1950s, not declined, but I can't seem to find any figures on it one way or another.  Where did you get your info?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: dps on May 29, 2012, 02:58:54 PM
I was under the impression that alcohol consumption among Americans as a whole had risen since the 1950s, not declined, but I can't seem to find any figures on it one way or another.  Where did you get your info?

A documentary called something like "Alcohol in America" that I downloaded circa 2004... I've since deleted it, but I keep the factoids upstairs.  :goodboy:  I remember them saying that the average per capita consumption in the 1830s was about 5 drinks a day.

I think you may be right to the extent that alcohol consumption increased a fair amount in the 60s and 70s and then leveled off...with spirits taking a huge hit since the 80s and wine increasing in turn.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Also, I remember that the idea that Prohibition increased consumption is a myth.  It was moderately effective at reducing total alcohol consumption, and alcohol-related ailments dropped significantly. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 29, 2012, 05:55:00 PM
Also, I remember that the idea that Prohibition increased consumption is a myth.  It was moderately effective at reducing total alcohol consumption, and alcohol-related ailments dropped significantly.

I believe you are correct.  Alcohol consumption dropped quite a bit after the Volstead act.  In the the 1920's it steadily rose but never surpassed the pre-prohibition level until prohibition was rescinded.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Another booze-related factoid I recall is that underage drinkers account for about a quarter of total US alcohol sales.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 29, 2012, 06:18:21 PM
Another booze-related factoid I recall is that underage drinkers account for about a quarter of total US alcohol sales.

I could see a quarter by volume but a quarter by cost would be harder.

Scipio

Why does the world insist on treating David Frum semi-seriously when he wrings his hands about the very problems he personally created?  Is it because he's a Canadian?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2012, 06:29:46 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 29, 2012, 06:18:21 PM

I could see a quarter by volume but a quarter by cost would be harder.

Yeah, it may have been units.  The price of a single glass of Joan Robinson's finest could probably get you into 18-pack territory for Natural Ice.

PDH

Quote from: Scipio on May 29, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Why does the world insist on treating David Frum semi-seriously when he wrings his hands about the very problems he personally created?  Is it because he's a Canadian?

Stay with the topic.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM