This one's for Marty: Gay Catholic Marriage in the Middle Ages

Started by Jacob, May 25, 2012, 02:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 25, 2012, 02:48:20 PM
Not sure how legit it is: http://anthropologist.livejournal.com/1314574.html

Anyone have any insight?

It's legit in that Boswell wrote it, it's just not accepted.  I think what he's describing is a sort of ritual of mutual adoption. Now while sexual relations may have occurred between declared "Blood Brothers", I don't think that's the norm or the intention, anymore then an adult adopting a child indicates a sexual relationship.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2012, 03:06:27 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 25, 2012, 02:48:20 PM
Not sure how legit it is: http://anthropologist.livejournal.com/1314574.html

Anyone have any insight?

It's legit in that Boswell wrote it, it's just not accepted.  I think what he's describing is a sort of ritual of mutual adoption. Now while sexual relations may have occurred between declared "Blood Brothers", I don't think that's the norm or the intention, anymore then an adult adopting a child indicates a sexual relationship.

:face:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

What did I say?  I think it's more of a Byzantine practice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

It's a theory.  It's not universally accepted but what is true is that the attitude of Christian Churches is largely ambiguous towards sodomy until the 11th and 12th centuries.  So it's not an entirely implausible theory and some other social and religious historians place roughly the same interpretation on them.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2012, 04:19:29 PM
What did I say?  I think it's more of a Byzantine practice.

You faced gays by bringing up their pedophilia in a sarcastic fashion.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.