News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hybrid vehicles

Started by merithyn, May 24, 2012, 02:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on May 25, 2012, 07:00:01 AM
Alright fair, there is that subgroup of hybrids. Odd though to talk about them as representative of the entire class.

Who said they're representative of a class? I merely said I wouldn't bother with one that didn't have the option to plug in, since the rest are no better than frugal combustion-powered cars.

Quote from: merithyn on May 24, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
And specs across the board generally have hybrids pretty close to the same weight as regular combustion engines.

Total car weight != powerplant/battery weight. There are a lot of ways for engineers to compensate for the weight of batteries (reduced range, performance, faster degradation of batteries, more expensive materials, etc). None are free.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on May 25, 2012, 05:00:18 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2012, 04:11:01 AM
British gallons and American gallons are not the same. Metric system FTW.

Had no idea, thanks.

Gosh, you should know the American consumer gets short changed on many things, but then again they aren't paying over $10/£6.00 for their gallon of petrol/gas. :bleeding:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 25, 2012, 12:18:46 AM
E:  Austin traffic doesn't need any qualifiers.  It's bad.  "WHY IS IT THIS BAD GODDAMMIT I JUST WANT TO GO TO FT WORTH AHHHHHHHHH" bad.  It's remarkably similar to what I was yelling when I was living in SoCal and driving around on the 5.

Austin is 8th worst in the country according to: http://scorecard.inrix.com/scorecard/

So quit moving here damnit!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2012, 01:32:55 AM
You could go for a diesel hybrid. Oh wait, they don't sell those in America.  :P

Yes, they do.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on May 25, 2012, 07:12:20 AM
Total car weight != powerplant/battery weight. There are a lot of ways for engineers to compensate for the weight of batteries (reduced range, performance, faster degradation of batteries, more expensive materials, etc). None are free.

If the engineers compensate for the weight of the battery, why does it matter if we're talking battery weight over car weight? When it comes to pushing the car forward, total weight is what counts. Seems a non-issue.

ulmont

Quote from: merithyn on May 25, 2012, 08:44:22 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2012, 01:32:55 AM
You could go for a diesel hybrid. Oh wait, they don't sell those in America.  :P

Yes, they do.

From that article, 3rd bullet point at the top:
"The U.S. is not included in the initial market launch of the V60 hybrid."

So here's another article about US sales of an extreme diesel car:
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/90434-2012-vw-passat-brings-hybrid-beating-diesel-tech-stateside

merithyn

CountDeMoney

I just hope I score another job this summer, so all the cash I've stored away I can blow on tricking out my Jeep, jacking it up 4" and throwing some wide 35" Nigger Stompers tires on it.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on May 25, 2012, 07:31:13 AM
Quote from: Gups on May 25, 2012, 05:00:18 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2012, 04:11:01 AM
British gallons and American gallons are not the same. Metric system FTW.

Had no idea, thanks.

Gosh, you should know the American consumer gets short changed on many things, but then again they aren't paying over $10/£6.00 for their gallon of petrol/gas. :bleeding:

It is one way of paying taxes and, given the anti-social nature of the car and the size of the country, a good way for the UK.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on May 24, 2012, 02:13:43 PM

• How are hybrids on long car trips?
I would imagine similar to other cars of the same category that are not hybrids.  The electric motor usually works until you hit 40-50km, then it switches back to the gaz motor.
An almost all electric vehicle like the Volt would give you better performance on long car trip.

Hybrids are useful for people living in big cities with constant traffic jams or protests like Montreal.  At low speed they are silent, so you can jump on the protestors more efficiently ;)

In any case, if you do a lot of long trips and only a few short strips with this car, you are better of with the same non-hybrid model (like regular Camry).
They'll be 8-10 000$ less.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Make sure you put a stick-figure family on the back window. That always delights passers-by who have a genuine interest in your private life.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM
Make sure you put a stick-figure family on the back window. That always delights passers-by who have a genuine interest in your private life.

:bleeding:

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 25, 2012, 03:04:42 PM

lustindarkness

My mother-in-law had a prius, I liked that car, drives nice and mpg was great, but I would never buy one for myself. Just not my thing. My FJ is already running on eco friendly hydrocarbons.  :D

Meri, the question is, why hybrid?
If it is to save the planet, it is worst for the enviroment than a non hybrid car.
MPG? There are better options.
Can't think of any other reason why someone would want one.  :lol:

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 25, 2012, 04:18:15 PM
Meri, the question is, why hybrid?
If it is to save the planet, it is worst for the enviroment than a non hybrid car.
MPG? There are better options.
Can't think of any other reason why someone would want one.  :lol:

Esplain to me, please. :)