Started by merithyn, May 24, 2012, 02:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on May 24, 2012, 05:10:23 PM
Battery weight largely kills any advantage. Not really worth it unless you've got somewhere to plug them and have a short, low-speed commute (and so rarely have to fill up the tank).

If you just want to go green, get a car with an efficient combustion engine. Most manufacturers have made big leaps in that field in the last few years.

:huh:

Who plugs in a hybrid battery?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

My Wrangler is a hybrid.  4W Hi, or 4W Lo.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2012, 09:21:38 PM

I wondered the same thing. :unsure:

And specs across the board generally have hybrids pretty close to the same weight as regular combustion engines.

Maybe "hybrid" means something different in Spain?  :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 24, 2012, 10:34:53 PM

I wondered the same thing. :unsure:

And specs across the board generally have hybrids pretty close to the same weight as regular combustion engines.
Maybe "hybrid" means something different in Spain?  :hmm:

Not much to really matter unless your racing it down the 1/4
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on May 24, 2012, 10:43:10 PM
Weight comparisons

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/pdf/hldi_28.10.pdf

That seems to correlate with what I said. :unsure:

Am I missing your point? Or are you agreeing with me?

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 24, 2012, 10:49:48 PM
Weight comparisons

Point is you are correct. Read Iormlund's post.  ;)

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on May 24, 2012, 10:55:22 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 24, 2012, 10:49:48 PM
Weight comparisons

Point is you are correct. Read Iormlund's post.  ;)

:blink:

Sorry. Mother of four teenagers and regular poster on Languish. Not used to hearing that... ever.

Don't mind me. Just going to saver it. :wub: :hug: :wub:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The Volt was designed for plug-in charging.  Since the Volt has a range of ~90mi on straight battery power, Volt owners who make short trips never need to turn the engine on.

Fate

I'm no car expert but I think a lay person would call the Volt an electric car and not a hybrid. You plug it in. To me a hybrid means that it runs off of a gas engine and has a battery that charges during deceleration/braking and kicks in to help with acceleration. Is that wrong?

Anyway, I've been driving a Honda Insight for the past two years. I've taken it on a lot of road trips and it does just fine. If I could do it over again I'd buy a Toyota Prius instead for the slightly higher gas mileage. I think it's like 10 MPG more than the Insight.

Height could be an issue. I'm 6'0" and not too far from having my head hit the ceiling. I can't imagine it being very comfortable for someone who is significantly taller. I've never sat in the back seats though.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2012, 05:26:01 PM
Personally, hybrids seem a bit of a dead end to me.  The idea is nice in theory, but so far the execution doesn't seem to be more efficient, in the long-term.  If I were to go for a car that sips fuel, I'd rather go for a diesel car (but that largely limits you to German cars).

Well I just know my Camry gets 30+ mpg which is significantly better than my Neon, despite the Neon being a smaller car.  Also the Camry is nicer (granted it is 5 years newer so it should be) and did not cost that much more.

They are not God's answer to fuel efficiency (they are better but not eye poppingly so) but they are pretty nice and there are some good ones out there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on May 24, 2012, 05:36:00 PM
Fuck Hybrids.

You realise we are talking about cars and not the children of Jews who intermarried right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on May 25, 2012, 12:06:06 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2012, 05:26:01 PM
Personally, hybrids seem a bit of a dead end to me.  The idea is nice in theory, but so far the execution doesn't seem to be more efficient, in the long-term.  If I were to go for a car that sips fuel, I'd rather go for a diesel car (but that largely limits you to German cars).

Well I just know my Camry gets 30+ mpg which is significantly better than my Neon, despite the Neon being a smaller car.  Also the Camry is nicer (granted it is 5 years newer so it should be) and did not cost that much more.

They are not God's answer to fuel efficiency (they are better but not eye poppingly so) but they are pretty nice and there are some good ones out there.

Interesting. My 05 Neon, w/152k, still gets 33-34 on highway. 85% of my driving is highway and not stop and go city driving.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on May 25, 2012, 12:06:06 AM
my Camry

Quotemy Neon

:hmm: My opinion of Valmy has been readjusted.

E: Okay you haven't owned like a Beetle or something too, right?