News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hawaii verifies Obama birth records to Arizona

Started by garbon, May 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 12:43:37 PM
The textbook definition of gaffe is: An unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder: "an unforgivable social gaffe".

I think you're thinking of a Freudian slip.
I thought Mencken came up with it, but it was some NYT writer: 'a gaffe is when a politician tells the truth - some obvious truth he isn't supposed to say.'

QuoteObama is smart enough to know there are only 50 states, but I don't think he's as smart as you guys think he is.
I don't know what you mean by I how smart he is.  I've never bought this Spock-Obama, constitutional scholar line.

But I think people don't see Obama as stupid, even his critics.  So him saying something stupid just comes across as that, it doesn't feed into some pre-existing criticism of Obama.  The clinger comment did feed into the whole elite, wine track v beer track, 'does he connect with white non-college educated men' debate.

It's a bit like I think the bar for a gaffe is always going to be very high for Biden because gaffes are sort-of priced in to Biden's image.  Things that could cause serious damage to another politician are just a normal Tuesday afternoon for Biden.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 12:43:37 PM
The textbook definition of gaffe is: An unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder: "an unforgivable social gaffe".

I think you're thinking of a Freudian slip.
I thought Mencken came up with it, but it was some NYT writer: 'a gaffe is when a politician tells the truth - some obvious truth he isn't supposed to say.'

Hmm...a definition of a word that is stated not to be in any dictionary. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2012, 05:38:47 PM
Hmm...a definition of a word that is stated not to be in any dictionary. ;)

Which is why General Haig never committed one.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2012, 09:25:46 AM
You know, I think Berkut would've been a fantastic NKVD officer.

Much like Rubashov's 2nd interrogator in Darkness at Noon, he will simply out-will you, dueling you post-for-post, statement-for-statement, word-for-word, in a remarkably disciplined performance of endless stamina, endurance and minutiae, never wavering, never showing the slightest glimpse of fatigue;  like an intellectual blasthole drill, he will bore into you continuously until you finally capitulate.

That is one of the purest and least ambiguous ad homs in recent forum history.  Well-done.  Not a single line anywhere that refers to an argument the man has made; it is purely an argument to the man.

It is, of course, a logical fallacy, but it is pure, and an example for all to note and admire.  Not a trace of logic in it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2012, 07:08:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2012, 09:25:46 AM
You know, I think Berkut would've been a fantastic NKVD officer.

Much like Rubashov's 2nd interrogator in Darkness at Noon, he will simply out-will you, dueling you post-for-post, statement-for-statement, word-for-word, in a remarkably disciplined performance of endless stamina, endurance and minutiae, never wavering, never showing the slightest glimpse of fatigue;  like an intellectual blasthole drill, he will bore into you continuously until you finally capitulate.

That is one of the purest and least ambiguous ad homs in recent forum history.  Well-done.  Not a single line anywhere that refers to an argument the man has made; it is purely an argument to the man.

It is, of course, a logical fallacy, but it is pure, and an example for all to note and admire.  Not a trace of logic in it.

In the end...*flicks ashes*...isn't that what it's all about?

Queequeg

QuoteI don't know what you mean by I how smart he is.  I've never bought this Spock-Obama, constitutional scholar line.
He was a Constitutional Law scholar.  Professionally.

I think you are seriously overestimating how sensible criticism of Obama is over here. I've seen/heard him called stupid many times, and seen his academic credentials questioned.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

dps

Quote from: Queequeg on May 30, 2012, 08:18:11 PM
QuoteI don't know what you mean by I how smart he is.  I've never bought this Spock-Obama, constitutional scholar line.

I think you are seriously overestimating how sensible criticism of Obama is over here. I've seen/heard him called stupid many times, and seen his academic credentials questioned.   

There are lots of people who have impressive acedemic credentials who really aren't all that smart.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on May 30, 2012, 08:23:18 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 30, 2012, 08:18:11 PM

There are lots of people who have impressive acedemic credentials who really aren't all that smart.
That's definitely true, at least in the minds of people lacking academic credentials.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Wait, does it matter if Obama is born in Kenya?  Wasn't his mother a citizen?

I think we can all agree that Obama is an unscrupulous asshole, but he's no fool.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2012, 08:34:11 PM
Wait, does it matter if Obama is born in Kenya?  Wasn't his mother a citizen?

It doesn't matter, and she was.  But those are mere facts, and the issue has never been about facts.

QuoteI think we can all agree that Obama is an unscrupulous asshole, but he's no fool.

I think he's just misguided and inexperienced.  I've seen no evidence that he is an asshole or a fool.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2012, 08:35:35 PM
I think he's just misguided and inexperienced.  I've seen no evidence that he is an asshole or a fool.
I dunno.  That whole 'born in Kenya' when it suited him to be so really rubs me the wrong way.  It's just makes me thing of Dorsey4Heismann.  Plus, he's a politician, and from Chicago.  You don't come out of there and rise to the top of the American political scene without being hateful and cruel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2012, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2012, 08:35:35 PM
I dunno.  That whole 'born in Kenya' when it suited him to be so really rubs me the wrong way.  It's just makes me thing of Dorsey4Heismann.  Plus, he's a politician, and from Chicago.  You don't come out of there and rise to the top of the American political scene without being hateful and cruel.
It was confirmed to be a fact-checking error, and that Obama wasn't aware of it.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2012, 08:45:58 PM
Abraham Lincoln did.
Wasn't he more rural?

Besides, he's tainted by some shitty movie.