News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hawaii verifies Obama birth records to Arizona

Started by garbon, May 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2012, 12:04:38 PM
I thought that was the definition of a gaffe, a politician accidentally saying something they believe to be true.  I think that's a good example though. 

The textbook definition of gaffe is: An unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder: "an unforgivable social gaffe".

I think you're thinking of a Freudian slip.

Quote57 states would've been a gaffe for Bush,

Har!

Quotebut not Obama.

Obama is smart enough to know there are only 50 states, but I don't think he's as smart as you guys think he is.

QuoteWhile clingers is a gaffe for Obama but I don't think would've caused Bush real problems.

It certainly would've caused Bush some problems with his base.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on May 30, 2012, 12:37:38 PM
The way I think of it, bad gaffes are when you say something that is revealing, and/or to an unintended audience.

Then we disagree on the definition.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 12:43:37 PM
Obama is smart enough to know there are only 50 states, but I don't think he's as smart as you guys think he is.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that he's not a rocket scientist as well.  His speeches and interviews have a very formulaic quality to them.  Yes we live in a soundbyte age, but I don't think it's too much to hope for that a president engages my intellect as well.

Bubba, on the other hand, I think truly has a massive fucking brain.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 12:42:44 PM
Something that is not susceptible to proofs or arguments is by definition an article of faith, not reason.

Bullshit.  Some things are subjective.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2012, 12:47:41 PM
Bullshit.  Some things are subjective.

You're saying this argument is a difference of taste???

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 12:50:03 PM

No.  It is a difference of judgement.  There exists no universal standard for racism that I am aware of.  Your standard maybe different than mine.  Besides, as I asked before, what exactly would an argument or proof that somebody is a racist or that something is a racist action look like?  I am not playing a game where nobody defines the rules.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 12:50:03 PM

No.  It is a difference of judgement.  There exists no universal standard for racism that I am aware of.  Your standard maybe different than mine.  Besides, as I asked before, what exactly would an argument or proof that somebody is a racist or that something is a racist action look like?

:huh:

Why would you level a charge of racism if you are unsure?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2012, 12:55:17 PM

Where did I say I am unsure?

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on May 30, 2012, 12:42:51 PM
This entire debate is predicated on your claim that birthers are in fact motivated by a double secret racist motive.
That's not my claim, that's your interpretation of my claim.  I made no claims about how explicit the racism is, as opposed to semi-conscious application of double standard.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2012, 12:56:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2012, 12:55:17 PM

Where did I say I am unsure?

Well you've said that you have judged to be racist but it is a subjective judgment.  Sounds pretty much like you don't actually know.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 30, 2012, 11:32:57 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2012, 11:13:51 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2012, 11:11:42 AM
I get the rest of that but where did the 57 state thing come from?  :hmm:

Republican "evidence" that Obama is an idiot.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/57states.asp

That link does not disprove what you think it does.  He did say 57 states.

I never said he didn't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
No.  It is a difference of judgement.  There exists no universal standard for racism that I am aware of.  Your standard maybe different than mine.  Besides, as I asked before, what exactly would an argument or proof that somebody is a racist or that something is a racist action look like?  I am not playing a game where nobody defines the rules.

The part of racism that is relevant to our discussion is a dislike of Obama based solely on his skin color.  The question under consideration is whether the birther conspiracy is an effort to channel the socially unacceptable dislike of blacks into a more socially accetable skepticism about his place of birth.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 12:34:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 30, 2012, 12:29:50 PM
It is a variation on the same theme, if you're Berkut and see ulterior motives lurking behind every tree.  :huh:

Saying something because you're biased does not imply having an ulterior motive.  It merely implies lack of impartiality.  There are many reasons why someone may not be completely impartial, but few of them carry any sort of malice that could amount to "ulterior motive".

Another variation on the theme.  Nothing that has been said far is an actual argument or proof that birtherism = racism.  It's tautological.  "Birtherism is so self-evidently an aspect of racism that people who don't see it have something wrong with them."

And that's the beauty of dog whistle politics.  When you get called on it, you can say "Oh, you are merely reading something into it I didn't mean".  Plausible deniability.  Short of some republican strategist saying, "Yeah, we use the Birther thing gin up white racists", you can't prove it.

Now, can you show that birtherism is more likely amongst racists?  Yeah, you can do that.  http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2011/04/social-scientists-look-at-racisms-role-in-birther-viewpoint/1#.T8ZiS1LCFOI Can I show that the GOP has pandered to racists voters in the past?  Yeah.  I've done that.  I actually had quotes from Republican strategists who said as much.  I've posted them before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2012, 01:04:12 PMThe part of racism that is relevant to our discussion is a dislike of Obama based solely on his skin color.  The question under consideration is whether the birther conspiracy is an effort to channel the socially unacceptable dislike of blacks into a more socially accetable skepticism about his place of birth.

What sort of evidence would you consider compelling enough to accept that it's the case? What sort of evidence would you accept to not immediately discard the hypothesis?

derspiess