Main Menu

Hawaii verifies Obama birth records to Arizona

Started by garbon, May 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on May 28, 2012, 08:43:16 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 28, 2012, 08:20:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 28, 2012, 03:24:31 PM
For what it's worth DGuller, I find Berkut and grumbler's characterization of you and your posts pretty inaccurate.

Agreed. :)

That may be accurate, but DGuller's characterization of Berkut's position is even more off base.

Explain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2012, 05:57:55 PM
Did the Fabians ever produce prose as lofty and insightful as "General Betray-Us?"
The Fabians did far more stupid things like lofty prose in support of eugenics or G.B. Shaw's insane phonetic alphabet. 
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2012, 09:05:46 PM
For what it's worth DGuller, I find Berkut and grumbler's characterization of you and your posts pretty inaccurate.

So when he cuts out the portion of my posts where I state the exact opposite of what he proceeds to rail on me about, you think that is pretty much all cool?

I'm staying out that whole mess. I simply said that I believe he's being mischaracterized.

It happens here a lot based on one post or one comment. When one takes ALL of that person's posts and comments into account, however, they tend to be someone entirely different. One person says one thing and they're branded with that "opinion" forever, and any other posts or comments are torn apart or disregarded based on the first comment. As if a person can't ever change their mind or even clarify what was meant rather than what was perceived.

So, yeah, I agree with what Jacob says. DGuller has, overall, come across as a level-headed, upright kind of guy.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn link=topic=7623.msg423123#msg423123

I'm staying out that whole mess. I simply said that I believe he's being mischaracterized.

It happens here a lot based on one post or one comment. When one takes ALL of that person's posts and comments into account, however, they tend to be someone entirely different. One person says one thing and they're branded with that "opinion" forever, and any other posts or comments are torn apart or disregarded based on the first comment. As if a person can't ever change their mind or even clarify what was meant rather than what was perceived.

So, yeah, I agree with what Jacob says. DGuller has, overall, come across as a level-headed, upright kind of guy.

God grief woman, you're being generous; I'd say it represents at least 50% of the content here.

Not that I disagree with both yours and Jacob's sentiment.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Mongers, that is the worst job of quoting I have ever seen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 29, 2012, 03:31:11 PM
Mongers, that is the worst job of quoting I have ever seen.

:D

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to look at what one posts.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on May 29, 2012, 04:02:58 AM
Quote from: dps on May 28, 2012, 08:43:16 PM

That may be accurate, but DGuller's characterization of Berkut's position is even more off base.

Explain.

Berkut's not particularly partisan, just stubborn.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on May 29, 2012, 03:25:54 PM

God grief woman, you're being generous; I'd say it represents at least 50% of the content here.

Not that I disagree with both yours and Jacob's sentiment.

Yes, it does. :D I was actually TRYING to be generous.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on May 29, 2012, 08:09:43 PM

And typically very fucking intelligent with his arguments. One of the many reason I enjoy reading his posts. He's just not always right, even if he thinks he is. :)

Razgovory

That's because he happens to agree with you on a lot of issues.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on May 29, 2012, 03:00:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2012, 09:05:46 PM

So when he cuts out the portion of my posts where I state the exact opposite of what he proceeds to rail on me about, you think that is pretty much all cool?

You can't have it both ways - how can you say he is being mischaracterized without saying atthe same time that I am somehow mistaken in my characterization, which requires you to evaluate said characterization.

There is no doubt about what he did, and this is far from the first time he has done something like this when the subject becomes about politics.

It happens here a lot based on one post or one comment. When one takes ALL of that person's posts and comments into account, however, they tend to be someone entirely different.
When one takes the entirety of DGullers posts into account, he is rather clearly an extremely partisan left wing Democrat. Maybe you can debate whether or not he is REALLY extreme, or just kind of extreme, but he is on the record as stating that in his views moderate Democrats are not Democrats at all, but really Republicans. And not just one or two, but lots of them. If that isn't extreme, then there are no extremes at all.

I can buy the argument that my characterization of him as just as extreme as the Tea Baggers is too much...but only just at best.

His track record of creative editing of posts and stating things about me that he knows full well is simply not true is well established, sadly. That is a separate issue.

One person says one thing and they're branded with that "opinion" forever, and any other posts or comments are torn apart or disregarded based on the first comment. As if a person can't ever change their mind or even clarify what was meant rather than what was perceived.
You must be talking about some other DG. He doesn't ever change his mind on political matters - they are a matter of great faith to him.

I think overall, DG is a level headed, upright kind of guy...outside of politics.

Then he has a very established track record of not being nearly so level headed, and definitely not "upright".

Someone who is mostly very honest who has been shown to be very much dishonest at times is both things. You can't just pretend the dishonesty didn't happen because most of the time he is honest, or a nice guy.

At the end of the day, your support for someone whose basic point is that

A) Republican opposition/"backlash" against Obama is significantly motivated by racism (rather than simply party politics, ideology, etc., etc), and
B) He is upset that people question his motives, and thinks that is not really very fair.

The irony that he is so concerned about anyone questioning a particular posters motives (for which we have ample actual evidence), while he is perfectly content to impunge the motives of millions based on their membership in the "other" party (with zero evidence at all, except his "common sense") appears to be completely lost on him. Which is rather perfectly normal...for extremists.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on May 29, 2012, 09:17:31 PM

And typically very fucking intelligent with his arguments. One of the many reason I enjoy reading his posts. He's just not always right, even if he thinks he is. :)

That is rather disappointing. I am perfectly capable of recognizing that I am not always right, and have changed my mind on many occasions on Languish. My bouncing around the political spectrum alone is pretty freaking bizarre, in fact, all evidenced on Languish.

But you are correct that I do think I am right when I am willing to be the person standing up and saying "Yeah, I don't think it is fair to just constantly call millions of people racists because they question the black guy. And it is really unfair to then extend that accusation of racism to the larger group they happen to be a subset of...and when you do it in the cause of furthering your political agenda, race baiting is not just a shitty move, it is borderline racist itself".

Go back and read this thread Meri. Lots of people jumping up and down and calling millions of other racists. And not one single shred of actual evidence provided except appeals to "it is obvious" and "common sense" or even you must be "pretty delusional" not to see this rampant racism.

Sorry, but you can color me "pretty delusional". I refuse to level an accusation of racism without something more than the demand that we take a bunch of Dems at their gut feeling that the Republicans are racists because some of them don't like Obama. YMMV of course, but IMO anyone willing to play use race in such a way like that is much more contemptible than even the idiots who care about Obama's birth certificate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

I think your arguments are both intelligent and sound, Berkut. I have never known you to be a man to shy away from admitting when you're wrong - it just doesn't happen very often since you don't tend to take up crazy positions.
Winner of THE grumbler point.