Hawaii verifies Obama birth records to Arizona

Started by garbon, May 23, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/hawaii-verifies-obama-birth-records-arizona-082322680.html

QuoteA nearly three-month-long tussle between two states over President Obama's birth records may be at an end.

The state of Hawaii said late Tuesday it has provided verification of the president's birth to Arizona's secretary of state, who claimed he needed proof of Obama's citizenship before he could place his name on the state's November ballot.

Joshua Wisch, special assistant to Hawaii Attorney General David Louie, told The Associated Press that the matter is now resolved.

Hawaii didn't give in to the request quickly or easily, pressing Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett for proof that the records were needed as part of normal business.

Wisch said Hawaii got the necessary proof, so it sent Bennett's office the verification.

A spokesman for Bennett said he received Hawaii's verification and will comment Wednesday. It was not clear if the new  information would satisfy Bennett or bring the dispute to a close.

In a radio interview last week, Bennett insisted he is "not a birther. I believe the president was born in Hawaii — or at least I hope he was."

But, he said, "my responsibility as secretary of state is to make sure the ballots in Arizona are correct and that those people whose names are on the ballot have met the qualifications for the office they are seeking."

Look at those two states wisely using their tax dollars.  :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Thank goodness. This issue is finally settled. ;)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Actually, Arizona hasn't stated that the matter is resolved.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Is the requirement for being a 'natural born citizen of the United States' require one actually be born in the United States?  His mother was an American citizen...so every American who just happened to be born abroad is not eligible for the Presidency?  That is just idiotic and surely cannot be what the law says on the matter.  What a waste of public money and time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

it won't be resolved. Ever. They will not be content with a negro ever sitting in the President's chair, as long as they live.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2012, 08:53:31 AM
it won't be resolved. Ever. They will not be content with a negro ever sitting in the President's chair, as long as they live.

Shame, isn't it?

Berkut

I am dissapointed in you Tamas. Buying into that kind of racism is rather pathetic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 08:53:25 AM
Is the requirement for being a 'natural born citizen of the United States' require one actually be born in the United States?  His mother was an American citizen...so every American who just happened to be born abroad is not eligible for the Presidency?  That is just idiotic and surely cannot be what the law says on the matter.  What a waste of public money and time.

The US Constitution uses the term "natural born citizen" once and never defines it. 

However, Congress defined it in 1790 and it included persons born abroad but possessing at least one US-citizen parent.  it has never since been defined differently, though the term itself doesn't appear in the current naturalization law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2012, 09:59:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 08:53:25 AM

The US Constitution uses the term "natural born citizen" once and never defines it. 

However, Congress defined it in 1790 and it included persons born abroad but possessing at least one US-citizen parent.  it has never since been defined differently, though the term itself doesn't appear in the current naturalization law.

Please dont tell me Arizona is this fucking stupid?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2012, 09:03:06 AM

I am dissapointed in you Tamas. Buying into that kind of racism is rather pathetic.

I hope my sarcasm meter is broken :P

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2012, 10:05:33 AM

It's not just Arizona.  It's a sizable percentage of the Republican base.  They are utterly uninterested in the truth; they just keep harping on the lie hoping that, if they repeat the lie long enough, it will become a truth, and Obama won't be eligible for re-election.

Yes, it is as stupid as betting on unicorns to win the triple crown, but we aren't talking rocket scientists here.  These are people for whom magical thinking is commonplace.  They believe in invisible superfriends who punish the wicked and reward the virtuous; they believe that they will live forever in some Disneyland in the sky; why wouldn't they believe in the magic of the big lie, as well?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2012, 10:18:32 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2012, 10:05:33 AM

It's not just Arizona.  It's a sizable percentage of the Republican base.  They are utterly uninterested in the truth; they just keep harping on the lie hoping that, if they repeat the lie long enough, it will become a truth, and Obama won't be eligible for re-election.

Yes, it is as stupid as betting on unicorns to win the triple crown, but we aren't talking rocket scientists here.  These are people for whom magical thinking is commonplace.  They believe in invisible superfriends who punish the wicked and reward the virtuous; they believe that they will live forever in some Disneyland in the sky; why wouldn't they believe in the magic of the big lie, as well?

Really, I havent followed this whole issue. Always seen it and said to myself, WTF are they on about now.

What you stated, is what I knew as being correct.  The average American wont even realize they are being insulted by these asshats.

Incredible and shocking really.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2012, 10:09:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 23, 2012, 09:03:06 AM

I hope my sarcasm meter is broken :P

I wasn't being sarcastic in the least, unfortunately.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned