News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I just threw up in my mouth

Started by Barrister, May 22, 2012, 04:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 22, 2012, 08:36:19 PM
Doesn't it?  Neil generally supposes that all human pursuits are ultimately meaningless.  It follows that watching some kid's cartoon is not less significant than reading War and Peace, since they're both largely exercises in killing time before we die. :)
Not meaningless, but only infused with what meaning that we give them.

Except for the construction and operation of dreadnought battleships, which is the only activity of intrinsic worth.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on May 22, 2012, 04:25:16 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 22, 2012, 04:10:48 PM
The formation of a Brony club here on campus made me gag.
It's no worse than anime clubs.

That's pretty bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2012, 09:12:17 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 22, 2012, 04:25:16 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 22, 2012, 04:10:48 PM
The formation of a Brony club here on campus made me gag.
It's no worse than anime clubs.
That's pretty bad.
It's certainly better than campus activism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

If my kid joined an anime club, the money to them would cease.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2012, 09:16:22 PM
If my kid joined an anime club, the money to them would cease.
Sure you say that, but you're wife's the one who will be making those decisions.

CountDeMoney

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 22, 2012, 09:28:39 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2012, 09:14:15 PM
It's certainly better than campus activism.
Marginally.
By far.  The anime club are usually a bunch of harmless nerds and the occasional Lettow-type strange-o.  Campus activists are usually violent, idiotic assholes who think they're clever.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2012, 05:24:32 PM
MLP is made for 2 year old girls.

Most anime that is shown in the West is made for teenagers or adults. 

MLP, the present cartoon anyway, is actually pretty good.  No surprise it has alot of vets who worked on previous quality cartoons like Fairly Odd Parents and the like and like the recent run of pretty good cartoons it can be enjoyed by adults and kids.  But the recent cultural phenomenon is pretty weird.  I mean there was no proliferation of Spongebob Square Pants or Powder Puff Girls or Animaniac fan groups breaking out everywhere (that I remember...no Pinky and the Brain fans trying to take over the world).  I guess the fact it is My Little Pony makes some guys think it is edgey or has shock value to announce they like it or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 10:42:28 PM
I guess the fact it is My Little Pony makes some guys think it is edgey or has shock value to announce they like it or something.

Unless they're like Lettow, in which case it's assumed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Yeah.  I've often wondered, does Lettow like anything normal people like?  Like, does he ever just watch Friends or something?  "Oh, Ross, will you ever stop getting divorced?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

I used to think Ross and Rachel had reached the apex of tiresome WTWT in television history.  Then I saw How I Met Your Mother and having a neverending WTWT when one half of the couple is not even known is truly revolutionary.  That show had better be glad it has Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 11:46:43 PM
I used to think Ross and Rachel had reached the apex of tiresome WTWT in television history.  Then I saw How I Met Your Mother and having a neverending WTWT when one half of the couple is not even known is truly revolutionary.  That show had better be glad it has Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel.
The chick who played Maria Hill is hott, but only with her hair up.

Ideologue

Friends got way better once they embraced their own absurdity, and Ross had like eight wives, Joey went full retard, and Monica and Phoebe became actually insane.  A lot of people who only watched early seasons think it's a soap opera with jokes, but it was more than that.  It was a goofy sitcom with no grounding in reality, and I mean that in a good way.

Interestingly, I cared more about the relationships in the truly surreal Newsradio.  Maybe that was just because it was better.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 22, 2012, 11:54:53 PM
Interestingly, I cared more about the relationships in the truly surreal Newsradio.  Maybe that was just because it was better.

Oh man I loved that show.  All four seasons of it.  THATS RIGHT.