D: France
1 (2.1%)
D: England
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Alexandru H.

In 1930 Uruguay was the champion of the last two editions of the Olympics, the only official football competition for world nations. And while only 4 European countries presented themselves on the Conte Verde (the ship), two of them were from the East (Yugoslavia and Romania), clearly way poorer than many of their Western counterparts (Italy, Netherlands, Austria etc.). In Romania, the king personally helped with the costs of transport... can't see why Italy (at the height of Mussolini's influence) couldn't do the same. Besides, Uruguay was a great, great team. Unlike in 1950, where they were the underdogs, in 1930 they simply confirmed their status as the best team in the world (as they were considered throughout Europe and South America).

Of course, we should point out that only after WW2 (and I should say from 1954 to 1998), the World Cup truly was the greatest competition in the world, considered as thus by everyone. Of course, this doesn't diminish the four wins of Italy and Uruguay, just places in perspective the influence of the game during the Cold War, after the establishment of the continental competitions for both club and country. After 1998, the World Cup lost its appeal while the Champions League took its torch towards higher ground.

One observation: for Brazil the World Cup was always the most important competition. Not only the Brazilians competed in every separate edition but until the 1980's they didn't even take Copa America seriously (did you know that Pele didn't win it once, even if he competed 5 times?)

Admiral Yi

Does "well organized defense" actually mean something, or is it just a euphemism for 8 guys playing back?

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2012, 06:57:35 AM
Does "well organized defense" actually mean something, or is it just a euphemism for 8 guys playing back?
Well, yes, as in every player knows exactly what he should be doing at all times, who to cover, when to press, etc. It can be very effective and very frustrating for the opponents and their fans.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Gups

It means a defence that is well-drilled.  For example, they will step up together in a line to spring an offside trap and know who they are marking at set pices. They also have midfielders who cover their positions when they push forward (especially on the wings).

Tamas

Yeah it actually requires training and discipline. Very unattractive to neutrals, and frustrating for opponents, but tactics and formations ARE part of the game, so...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2012, 06:57:35 AM
Oh not at all.  For example I think this German side at their best have a very solid well-organised defence that's then able to spring into a very quick counter-attack.  A few teams play a midfielder in defence so that they can move from defending to attacking very rapidly, but that relies on the rest of the defence being able to work effectively.

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2012, 07:35:12 AM
Yeah it actually requires training and discipline. Very unattractive to neutrals, and frustrating for opponents, but tactics and formations ARE part of the game, so...
:lol:  I was disappointed at the Italians last night.  2-0 is just wasteful.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

The thing American newcomers don't get (hard to see from TV sometimes) is that good defense requires formation, marking, movement away from the ball, return to shape, and ability to clear competently (and counter). 

At work I have been watching the ESPN feeds, and it seems the view is better and wider - but see some of this in person and it is easier to see.  8 men back who don't know their ass from an underwear endorsement will get beaten.  A solid and well played defense does not have to just be a bunker.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2012, 10:01:28 PM
My suggestion to improve the game would be to install a more forgiving surface in the penalty box area.  It seems like in every game there are a couple of players who suffer devastating (though luckily temporary) injuries in that relatively small patch of the field.  It delays the game too much while the horribly battered players are nursed back to health.

Time management is also an issue. It needs to stop when the ball isn't in play.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I agree - if the game is interrupted (out, free kick etc.) - stop the clock.

Though I have to say it's much better today than in the 80s when the pass back to the goalie was very ubiquitous because they were still allowed to pick it up, draining all life from games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

I disagree, don't stop the clock. But they could card more players for timewasting, especially the ones who are injured on the field but fresh as soon as they hit the sidelines.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

One thing I really like about MLS is that diving is actively discouraged - not just lip service.  Refs give a fair amount of yellows in games for dives, but also the League itself sanctions and gives post-match fines and penalties for players who dive and fake injuries.  This has not eliminated the time wasting dives or attempts to garner penalties, but it does seem to cut into it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

I looked this up because I saw it (probably on languish) referenced in the news before, but a study done found that:

Quoteresearchers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have found that soccer is the most unpredictable sport, as it more likely that a team with a worse record can defeat a team with a better record. The researchers looked at the results of over 300,000 soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey and football games, and found that the likelihood for an upset was greatest in soccer.

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/soccer-most-exciting-sport-watch

[it has a link to the study]

I stand by the idea that goals need to be bigger or some other modest innovation to up scoring (such as one less man per side, goalkeepers can only use one hand, 2 point shots from outside the box, players can pick the ball up and throw it to each other, etc).

A real question I have: are there less red cards / penalty shots because the referees aren't idiots from Trinidad and Tobago picked to add geographical diversity, European football just tolerates rough and tumble play more, or these tend to be higher quality sides that don't do stupid things to result in red cards and penalties?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2012, 10:38:45 AM
A real question I have: are there less red cards / penalty shots because the referees aren't idiots from Trinidad and Tobago picked to add geographical diversity, European football just tolerates rough and tumble play more, or these tend to be higher quality sides that don't do stupid things to result in red cards and penalties?
Red cards and penalities are just as random as everything else about soccer.

In general, good teams perform well in soccer, but there is a lot of potential for upsets. That makes the sport more attractive to me though.

Alexandru H.

The easiest way would be to award 0 points to each team if the final score is 0-0.