News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

QuoteOn Saturday, a Syrian opposition group, the al-Furqan Brigades, published footage of an Iranian officer killed in battle. Opposition news website Zaman al-Wasl identified the man as Haj Abbas Abdullahi, one of Iran's most decorated snipers and a veteran of the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.

A veteran of the Iran-Iraq war fighting in Syria? Let the poor guy retire already!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Well I suppose he did in a way. RIP
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2015, 10:35:41 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 13, 2015, 04:02:09 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2015, 12:54:34 AM
Tons of evidence regarding Assad's atrocities have been smuggled out of Syria

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/12/syria-truth-smugglers-bashar-al-assad-war-crimes

and still he's preferable over the ISIS-types

If Assad falls it will simplify the situation on the ground.  As long as he hangs around, the effort to coordinate vs. ISIS will be hampered by the perception that it benefits Assad.

as long as countries like Saudistan are around ISIS is not going to vanish

KRonn

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/12/syria-truth-smugglers-bashar-al-assad-war-crimes

How about the atrocities of ISIS? I'd rather Assad in there than Syria falling to ISIS control. Face it, Syria is not going to become any kind of Muslim democracy or some kind of moderate place like Tunisia. The best chance for it now is probably for Assad to prevail against the radical forces against him.

Turkey was supporting the rebels against Assad, sending weapons and allowing fighters to go in. Now many of those weapons and fighters are with ISIS. I wonder if Turkey feels they made a big mistake in pushing to overthrow Assad? For that matter, what is the US policy? We want Assad out but what takes his place? It'll make Libya look like a thriving democracy by comparison.

KRonn

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 10, 2015, 12:51:08 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 13, 2015, 04:02:09 PM

and still he's preferable over the ISIS-types

If Assad falls it will simplify the situation on the ground.  As long as he hangs around, the effort to coordinate vs. ISIS will be hampered by the perception that it benefits Assad.

as long as countries like Saudistan are around ISIS is not going to vanish

Yep, lots of support from some Saudis but the government doesn't like ISIS being around. ISIS victorious in Iraq and Syria won't take too long to move on SA as one of their next conquests.

citizen k

Quote from: KRonn on June 10, 2015, 01:52:44 PM
I'd rather Assad in there than Syria falling to ISIS control.

I'll take option C, neither.

First U.S. fighter killed battling ISIS.

http://news.yahoo.com/american-fighting-kurds-killed-islamic-state-battle-175851993.html

IRBIL, Iraq (AP) — An American fighting with Kurdish forces against the Islamic State group in Syria has been killed in battle, authorities said Wednesday, likely the first U.S. citizen to die fighting alongside them against the extremists.

Keith Broomfield of Massachusetts died June 3 in a battle in the Syrian village of Qentere, which is near the border town of Kobani, said Nasser Haji, an official with a group of Kurdish fighters known as the YPG. He had joined the YPG on Feb. 24 under the nom de guerre Gelhat Raman, Haji said.

Haji did not elaborate on the circumstances of Broomfield's death, nor did he know the man's hometown.

State Department spokesman Jeff Rathke confirmed Bloomfield's death, but declined to provide any details about the circumstances. He said the U.S. was providing consular assistance to his family.

The fight against the Islamic State group has attracted dozens of Westerners, including a number of Iraq war veterans who have made their way back to the Middle East to join Kurdish fighters, who have been most successful against the extremist group.

Many are spurred on by Kurdish social media campaigners and a sense of duty rooted in the 2003 U.S.-led military invasion of Iraq. And while the U.S. and its coalition allies bomb the extremists from the air, Kurds say they hope more Westerners will join them on the ground to fight.

Previously, a British citizen, an Australian and a German woman have been killed fighting with the Kurds.

Backed by U.S.-led coalition airstrikes, Kurdish YPG fighters in Syria have successfully pushed back Islamic State group militants from Kobani and scores of nearby villages. More recently, they have closed in on the Islamic State-held town of Tal Abyad near the Turkish border. The town is the Islamic State group's main access point to Turkey from Raqqa, the group's de facto capital in Syria.

citizen k

If Assad falls it will simplify the situation on the ground. 

And one less reason for Sunnis to join ISIS and al-Nusra.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: citizen k on June 10, 2015, 02:28:31 PM
If Assad falls it will simplify the situation on the ground. 

And one less reason for Sunnis to join ISIS and al-Nusra.

or maybe a good reason to join them if it's either of them that topple Assad.

Valmy

Of course if Assad does fall what happens to the Alawites? Really there is no good outcome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I expect Assad/the Alawites to hold out forever in their coastal enclave.  AFAIK they haven't lost any core Alawite territory yet.

DGuller

The Brain

I guess the Alablacks are fucked as always.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 09, 2015, 05:48:31 PM
Another important army base has fallen to the rebels.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/moderate-rebels-take-key-southern-base-in-syria-dealing-blow-to-assad/2015/06/09/9d6ff9c2-0ea5-11e5-a0fe-dccfea4653ee_story.html

This is one is more significant. Deir Ezzor was just a matter of time, this one cuts off the Druze enclave on the Jordanian border from Damascus.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2015, 12:02:23 PM
Well I suppose he did in a way. RIP

He had only one day left on his contract.  :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help