Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: citizen k on March 12, 2014, 08:36:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2014, 08:33:08 PM
Obama lost Syria.   :mad:  Just like he lost Crimea.   :mad:

And now he's lost East Harlem.

Even I know East Harlem has more than one building.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2014, 10:53:47 PM
Quote from: citizen k on March 12, 2014, 08:36:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2014, 08:33:08 PM
Obama lost Syria.   :mad:  Just like he lost Crimea.   :mad:

And now he's lost East Harlem.

Even I know East Harlem has more than one building.

Yeah, but will they still by the time President Obama leaves office? 

mongers

Possibility of a Turkish military intervention in N.Syria within the next couple of weeks, odds?

Maybe over the issue of a Turkish cultural 'relic'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2014, 05:03:49 PM
Possibility of a Turkish military intervention in N.Syria within the next couple of weeks, odds?

There has been fighting over a border crossing recently, but if they didn't intervene over that plane that was shot down or the mortars crossing the border it seems unlikely.

Rebels Clash Near Border
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

There has been fighting over a border crossing recently, but if they didn't intervene over that plane that was shot down or the mortars crossing the border it seems unlikely.

Rebels Clash Near Border

:hmm:

A start ? :unsure:

Turkey downs Syria military jet 'in airspace violation'

Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan says its armed forces have shot down a Syrian military jet which had violated its airspace.

He warned such action by Syria merited a "heavy response".

But Syria accused Turkey of "blatant aggression", saying the plane had been over Syrian territory at the time.

The incident reportedly occurred in an area where Syrian rebels and government forces have been fighting for control of a border crossing.

Turkey and Syria - once allies - have more than 500 miles (800km) of common border.

The BBC's James Reynolds in Istanbul says Turkey and Syria have been on opposing sides in Syria's war since October 2011, and there have been a number of engagements and firefights.

However neither side is interested in a direct, sustained, open war or conflict between the two countries, our correspondent says.
'Caught fire and crashed'

Speaking at a rally of supporters, Mr Erdogan congratulated his air force on its actions on Sunday.

"A Syrian plane violated our airspace. Our F-16s took off and hit this plane. Why? because if you violate my airspace, our slap after this will be hard," he said.

rest of item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26706417

Viking

Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2014, 10:16:22 AM
Turkey downs Syria military jet 'in airspace violation'

Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan says its armed forces have shot down a Syrian military jet which had violated its airspace.

He warned such action by Syria merited a "heavy response".

But Syria accused Turkey of "blatant aggression", saying the plane had been over Syrian territory at the time.

The incident reportedly occurred in an area where Syrian rebels and government forces have been fighting for control of a border crossing.

Turkey and Syria - once allies - have more than 500 miles (800km) of common border.

The BBC's James Reynolds in Istanbul says Turkey and Syria have been on opposing sides in Syria's war since October 2011, and there have been a number of engagements and firefights.

However neither side is interested in a direct, sustained, open war or conflict between the two countries, our correspondent says.
'Caught fire and crashed'

Speaking at a rally of supporters, Mr Erdogan congratulated his air force on its actions on Sunday.

"A Syrian plane violated our airspace. Our F-16s took off and hit this plane. Why? because if you violate my airspace, our slap after this will be hard," he said.

I bolded the bit that worried me. It says more about Erdogan's state of mind rather than the state of turkish ROE, but still, "My airspace"?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on March 23, 2014, 10:37:31 AM

I bolded the bit that worried me. It says more about Erdogan's state of mind rather than the state of turkish ROE, but still, "My airspace"?

My thinking is an autocratic ruler facing trouble at home, corruption allegations and so forth, seeks a foreign policy crisis to quell or divert domestic opposition.

Viking

Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2014, 10:44:43 AM

My thinking is an autocratic ruler facing trouble at home, corruption allegations and so forth, seeks a foreign policy crisis to quell or divert domestic opposition.

Well, duh, it's just that he's not supposed to be an autocratic ruler. Just a year ago people were still putting him forward as a role model for arab democracy in the arab spring.

I'm just wondering what act of his will be the one history looks back on to be the one that finally confirmed his autocratic shark jumping completed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on March 23, 2014, 10:53:19 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2014, 10:44:43 AM

Well, duh, it's just that he's not supposed to be an autocratic ruler. Just a year ago people were still putting him forward as a role model for arab democracy in the arab spring.

I'm just wondering what act of his will be the one history looks back on to be the one that finally confirmed his autocratic shark jumping completed.

I think plenty of people have had doubts about him for a fair few years now.

I've already staked my claim to what that might be.  :ph34r:   :D

mongers

:hmm:

Turkey moves to block YouTube access after 'audio leak'

Turkey has moved to block access to YouTube, a day after a court ordered the suspension of a ban on Twitter, which PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan backed.

The telecoms authority (TIB) said it had taken an "administrative measure" against the site but another report suggests that talks are under way.

Some users found access blocked while others could still use the site.

Earlier, what appeared to be a leaked audio recording of Turkish officials discussing Syria appeared on YouTube.

It relates to a discussion of possible military operations in Syria, which was apparently attended by Turkey's intelligence chief, its foreign minister and the deputy head of the armed forces.

rest of article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26773702

mongers

mongers

More quality reporting about Syria from Channel 4 -

Three reports worth watching firstly from Homs about the 1000 remainding holdout rebels.
Next surprising inside access to Hizbullah's war in Syria and the ramifications/war spilling into Lebanon.
The last item is the story of a British muslim activist driving an ambulance in Aleppo.

http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2014, 07:59:42 PM

Video news report from Crac des Chevaliers crusader castle, worth a view to see the damage:

http://blogs.channel4.com/lindsey-hilsum-on-international-affairs/syrias-war-controls-castle/3711?1

The rebels are slowly being crushed, though most now are likely radical Islamics. The reprisals against any Syrians suspected of being against Asad is going to continue for a long time now too.

Valmy

At least the Crac got to come out of retirement for one more bloody battle and it wasn't fatal.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 01:32:39 PM
At least the Crac got to come out of retirement for one more bloody battle and it wasn't fatal.

Did Assad call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' niggers, who got to work on the homes there with a pair of pliers and a blow torch? Did he get medieval on their asses - literally?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius