News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Dang, that would suck if Syria starts sponsoring terrorism :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2013, 12:48:51 PM
So Assad has been quoted here: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/ausland/naher-osten/assad-im-f-a-z-gespraech-europa-wird-den-preis-fuer-waffenlieferungen-zahlen-12224852.html

... he's saying that if Europe arms the rebels, they'll pay the price in terrorism.

I'm unsure. When I looked up an English language source, kind of looked like he was saying that arming rebels is giving would-be terrorists training in how to use weapons.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

So Assad has been quoted here: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/ausland/naher-osten/assad-im-f-a-z-gespraech-europa-wird-den-preis-fuer-waffenlieferungen-zahlen-12224852.html

... he's saying that if Europe arms the rebels, they'll pay the price in terrorism.

yes, because the rebels/terrorists would then not only be veterans, but also better armed than they are now.
And while my skills are understanding German are a bit limited i dont see Assad making the threat that he will be sending out terrorists.

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2013, 07:45:16 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2013, 04:14:16 AM
Ten years from now, those small arms will be used against US troops

Small arms are not the problem. Guided munitions are. Giving the rebels 100,000 AK-47s will not be a serious issue. There are already more than enough of those lying about. Giving them 5,000,000 rounds of 7.62 mm short ammo will be of use. Provided all that gets use this shouldn't be an issue.

I worry about giving them anti tank and anti aircraft missiles as well as guidance equipment for mortars. Remember that keeping this stuff in working order takes quite a bit of money and trained manpower.

The most useful stuff that we can give them is communication equipment and real time satellite and drone information.
Yeah, there are already problems with radical types having and using Russian SA-7 ground to air missiles in other areas.

Jacob

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 17, 2013, 01:48:46 PM

yes, because the rebels/terrorists would then not only be veterans, but also better armed than they are now.
And while my skills are understanding German are a bit limited i dont see Assad making the threat that he will be sending out terrorists.

So it's more of a matter of fact friendly warning that if Europe arm anti-government rebels, they should expect to see more terrorism at home.

Gotcha.

He might be right :)

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2013, 03:21:04 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 17, 2013, 01:48:46 PM

So it's more of a matter of fact friendly warning that if Europe arm anti-government rebels, they should expect to see more terrorism at home.

Gotcha.

He might be right :)

Well obviously he isn't just saying it to be nice, but rather to deter a course of action. However, when you first posted it, seemed like he was saying that he was going to encourage terrorism against Europe - whereas he is saying that Europe's actions will lead to home-grown terrorism.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

I don't think htere is any might be about it. Though they'll probably be busy trying to exterminate each other for years.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 01:28:48 PM

I'm unsure. When I looked up an English language source, kind of looked like he was saying that arming rebels is giving would-be terrorists training in how to use weapons.

Meh, it's not like we've ever supplied arms and training to insurgent fighters, only to have them use the training against us in the form of terrorism before.

:osama:

mongers

Tunisian mothers in Damascus pleading for the release of their 'foreign fighter' sons:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22933132
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2013, 03:46:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2013, 03:41:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2013, 03:41:04 PM
Good, clean fun.

Just like Syria will be.

Yeah.  Well, take that up with him.

It's not like he really wants to do this, you know.  You can tell, what with the absence of a coherent policy.