Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2013, 08:24:03 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2013, 08:18:54 AM
give /= do

I'd rather not give them anything.

QuoteI was expecting a drone campaign.

Not enough ordnance involved to be effective.

A Couple of Cameras with real time footage of syrian army maneuvers should help them win battles and a couple of hellfire missiles dropped on tanks in the open should keep them from moving in open terrain.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

On a more serious note however. How does this conflict affect Iran's ability to retaliate in case of an Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear infrastructure?

If Assad falls HizbAllah is in serious trouble both in political and logistical terms. Lebanese salafists might take the opportunity to attack HizbAllah in this conflict and/of HizbAllah mighte recieve a significant bloody nose in Syria in terms of loss of manpower and quality manpower at that. Additionally With Syria gone HizbAllah has lost it's logistical umbilical to Iran and cannot be sure of replacing weapons lost and re-supply of ammunition expended.

Will this cause Israel to strike during the conflict while Assad and Nasrallah are distracted? Will they strike in case of an opposition victory?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2013, 12:07:23 PM
A Couple of Cameras with real time footage of syrian army maneuvers should help them win battles and a couple of hellfire missiles dropped on tanks in the open should keep them from moving in open terrain.

That would probably require a bit more US fire support and forward observation cooperation on the ground than what is currently possible with those heart-eating Islamogoofs.

Admiral Yi

give /= do

I was expecting a drone campaign.

I figure before you deploy drones you have to take out all of Assad's shiny new SAMs.

Bluebook

This is not a civil war in Syria anymore. This is the sectarian sunni-shiite war we have dreaded. Right now is focused in Syria, but is already spilling over into Lebanon and Iraq. This will not end anytime soon since neither side can accept a victory for the other side.

Intervention is a really bad idea. Non-intervention is also a bad idea, but probably less bad since an intervention not make anything better or end the sectarian war.

citizen k

Quote from: Bluebook on June 15, 2013, 05:21:04 PM
... intervention not make anything better or end the sectarian war.

Neither will non-intervention. At a minimum they should stop the airstrikes on civilians. 

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2013, 02:18:55 PM
give /= do

I was expecting a drone campaign.

I figure before you deploy drones you have to take out all of Assad's shiny new SAMs.

Does he actually have them or are they in Latakia protecting the Russian Black Sea Fleet?

Besides, I'm pretty sure a S-300 costs more than a Drone.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2013, 06:49:41 PM
Does he actually have them or are they in Latakia protecting the Russian Black Sea Fleet?

If he doesn't have his new stuff yet he still has plenty of older stuff.

QuoteBesides, I'm pretty sure a S-300 costs more than a Drone.

Good point.  :hmm:

edit: But he also has some MiGs.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2013, 07:08:56 PM
Quote from: katmai on June 15, 2013, 07:08:26 PM
Learn to quote you git.

Don't give me none of your guff.

I'll gruff, and I'll huff and I'll puff if i wanna!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on June 15, 2013, 07:12:18 PM
I'll gruff, and I'll huff and I'll puff if i wanna!

I WAS SICK I WAS SICK

:weep:

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2013, 07:07:44 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 15, 2013, 06:49:41 PM

If he doesn't have his new stuff yet he still has plenty of older stuff.

QuoteBesides, I'm pretty sure a S-300 costs more than a Drone.

Good point.  :hmm:

edit: But he also has some MiGs.

Sure he has some MiGs. Does he have Radars? The Israelis seem to be able to get in and out the place pretty easily. The Wiki page on the civil war had an uncited number of 100 (out of 600-900) combat aircraft lost.

Then again, I'm pretty sure the fuel and missiles needed to shoot down a drone costs more than a Drone... ok, maybe not more, but at least in the same order of magnitude, plus the pilot(s) have to run the risk of the drone being bait in a SAM-trap.

If "we" do deploy drones I suspect that there will be a no-fly zone involved as well.

Jacob

Admiral Yi