Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 12, 2012, 05:44:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 12, 2012, 03:53:23 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 12, 2012, 03:11:24 AM
Syria is doomed. More doomed than with the secular Baathists. It'll be a sunni-fundamentalist shithole in a few years.
Because we refused to arm the secular rebels and let the Saudis and Qatar arm the wackjobs and ship in jihadis.

in that case Syria would still be doomed as after a civil war the fundamentalist whackjobs would be in power.
Eh, I don't see how that follows what I said?

The reason the fundamentalists will be able to seize power is because the West declined to arm the more secular FSA factions in the early going. Instead we let the Saudis and Qatar arm the rebels of their choosing, and looked the other way when they began shipping in jihadists. If we had armed the secular factions in the beginning this wouldn't have happened.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The Secularists were in the minority already.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I was unaware Tim that Qatar had become a hotbed of Wahhabist fanaticism.

I was also unaware that we looked the other way while jihadists made their way to Syria, and I am curious what it would have been like if we had stared directly at them while they did so.

Ed Anger

I still support Bashir, at least until the US cracks his huge forehead open.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2012, 08:10:38 AM
I was unaware Tim that Qatar had become a hotbed of Wahhabist fanaticism.
It's not.  The Qataris are backing the Muslim Brotherhood, the Saudis are backing the Salafis.  Except in GCC states and monarchies where they unite to help the regime.  It's caused some tension and apparently there's recently been high-level meetings to cool things down between Saudi and Qatar.

More problematically the Turks and the Saudis have been arming groups together (as they did in Bosnia) in, from what I've read, a pretty indiscriminate way.

QuoteI was also unaware that we looked the other way while jihadists made their way to Syria, and I am curious what it would have been like if we had stared directly at them while they did so.
The laserlike focus of America is enough to alter the course of events.  If that fails then the US should take a stand.  That, invariably, matters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2012, 08:05:24 AM
They were, but let's not over-glorify kleptocratic tribal regimes with some noble ideological purpose.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Lol, Assad his firing Scuds at the Rebels now.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/12/15867662-syrian-forces-have-fired-scud-missiles-at-rebels-us-officials-say?lite

He's also been reduced to dropping naval mines on the enemy from the air.

It looks so sad it didn't explode. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

He'd be crazy not to use chemical weapons at this point.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on December 13, 2012, 12:37:46 AM

meh, he can still show up in Riyhad and get asylum.. after gassing saudi volunteers maybe not so much
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2012, 10:01:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2012, 08:05:24 AM
They were, but let's not over-glorify kleptocratic tribal regimes with some noble ideological purpose.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  I'm not a big fan of the Assad regime, I'm just not a big fan of the rebels either.  But you know me, I'm not a big fan of revolutions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2012, 12:39:54 AM

meh, he can still show up in Riyhad and get asylum.. after gassing saudi volunteers maybe not so much

I doubt that.  There aren't that many places he can go.  Iran might take him.  I'm sure the Russians would gladly take him, and then sell him back for concessions.  You might be able to find some loopy African state to take him, like Sudan or possibly Chavez in Venezuela.  Chavez seems to enjoy making provocative moves for little or no gain.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 12:47:11 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2012, 12:39:54 AM

I doubt that.  There aren't that many places he can go.  Iran might take him.  I'm sure the Russians would gladly take him, and then sell him back for concessions.  You might be able to find some loopy African state to take him, like Sudan or possibly Chavez in Venezuela.  Chavez seems to enjoy making provocative moves for little or no gain.

The saudis have a long history of providing asylum for the truely evil that happen to be muslim. They take this guardianship of the two mosques thing seriously. If assad goes on haji with a shitload of money in his pocket he can stay.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Wouldn't it be kind of awkward, since Saudis are also financing the rebels?

dps

Quote from: DGuller on December 13, 2012, 12:58:50 AM
Wouldn't it be kind of awkward, since Saudis are also financing the rebels?

If he brings enough money with him, I sure the Saudis will manage to live with the awkwardness.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2012, 12:23:20 AM
He's also been reduced to dropping naval mines on the enemy from the air.

It looks so sad it didn't explode. :(

lol, it does, doesn't it.  Looks like it's crying.  It has failed to do the one thing in life it was supposed to do.