News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 19, 2012, 10:14:24 PM
You're wrong on the debt.  It wasn't higher in 2003.

My point is simply that things change.  I think one can easily look at a deficit of 2-3% with a national debt of 70% and a benign global economic situation and say that the cost of a war isn't so high that it should outweigh potential benefits.  The same person can equally easily look at a deficit of 8-9%, with a national debt over 100% and a very shaky global economic situation and decide the cost's too high. 

That's assuming the same Baathist dictatorship's involved.  I think that matters too, as does the context.

You're not making a point so much as just reading the worst into anyone's motives, which is what makes it so partisan.  The point itself is bullshit because you're saying if you're willing to ignore the deficit in a conflict when your party's in the White House then you have to be willing to ignore it forever regardless of the circumstances.  That is obvious nonsense.

It wasn't higher in 2003 then what?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 19, 2012, 09:38:42 PM- unlike Libyans, I believe the Syrians have never asked for intervention as opposed to money and diplomatic backing. 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/world/meast/syria-defector-interview/index.html

Syt

Quote from: citizen k on July 20, 2012, 01:51:28 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 19, 2012, 09:38:42 PM- unlike Libyans, I believe the Syrians have never asked for intervention as opposed to money and diplomatic backing. 

He said "Syrians" in the plural. That's just one Syrian.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2012, 02:03:29 AM
Quote from: citizen k on July 20, 2012, 01:51:28 AM

He said "Syrians" in the plural. That's just one Syrian.

I'm pretty sure the sentiment of "if tons of high explosive fell on Assad's house we wouldn't mind it too much..." is almost universal among the syrian opposition.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Fair enough. But the Libyans needed assistance. In the current situation, I don't think the Syrians want or need a Western deus ex machina to steal their revolutionary success.

That could change of course.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 04:45:38 PM
Believe me, I have no love for the Assad dynasty and on a certain level I am sorta cheering for the rebels. But whatever replaces the Assad regime is likely to be just as bad for us if not worse.  I'll be happy if I'm wrong on that.

The jury is still way out, but the preliminary signs from Libya are encouraging.  And Libya is also a decent model for intervention on the relative cheap.

IMO it would be very difficult to be worse than the Assad regime; the bar is set very high for execrableness

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 19, 2012, 09:38:42 PM
You say this and earlier talked about the rebels hating you anyway.  I think this gets Syria wrong.

The problem with the Assad regime isn't that they hate Western powers, though they do; the problem with the Assad regime is their relationships with Iran, Hezbullah and, until recently, Hamas.  They projected Iranian influence far more widely in the Middle East.  They are a destabilising influence in the Levant.  In addition they provide a base for the Russians (rumours are that if Assad fails the Russians will offer the Greeks free money for a Med port).  The benefit from their fall isn't that an anti-American regime falls but that Iran's forward base in the Arab world, Hezbullah's hinterland and Russia's Med port closes down.

Given that Iran and Hezbullah have really lashed themselves to the regime it's almost impossible to see any rebels rebuilding those relationships.  So even if they hate you just as much it would almost certainly be better.  The worst case scenario (assuming Syria doesn't totally collapse) is an isolated nut like 90s Iraq or Libya.

Having said that the US would probably get far more popular support if they helped in the overthrow.  I think even the moral support so far will be noticed - unlike Libyans, I believe the Syrians have never asked for intervention as opposed to money and diplomatic backing.  Certainly in Libya the West's more popular because of intervention (similarly I saw an interview with the Tunisian PM who said he thought this was a new opportunity for US-Arab relations and that he'd never imagined the US would support Tunisia's revolution).  Even if the US doesn't intervene, if there's a Syrian state to negotiate with, I think the collapse of Assad presents a strategic opportunity that it would be mad to miss to influence and help Syria after the conflict.

Despite all of that, I agree with you that we shouldn't intervene.  I think it's too costly, too risky and quite possibly counter-productive.  In my view our goal should be to try and isolate the conflict as much as possible, to provide moral support (especially with the rebels on a roll) and to help in the aftermath.

Good points.  I will have to give this some thought.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 20, 2012, 09:08:03 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2012, 04:45:38 PM
Believe me, I have no love for the Assad dynasty and on a certain level I am sorta cheering for the rebels. But whatever replaces the Assad regime is likely to be just as bad for us if not worse.  I'll be happy if I'm wrong on that.

The jury is still way out, but the preliminary signs from Libya are encouraging.  And Libya is also a decent model for intervention on the relative cheap.

IMO it would be very difficult to be worse than the Assad regime; the bar is set very high for execrableness

The new dictator's wife could easily be less hot than the current one.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2012, 06:00:28 AM
I don't think the Syrians want or need a Western deus ex machina to steal their revolutionary success.

Oh I doubt very much doubt that the Syrians would mind getting a little help from whomever.  The Libyan resistance fighters didn't lose any face from the Western intervention; it was still Libyans fighting and taking the ground; the western help just helped even the playing field against a regime that controlled heavy armor/air/etc.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on July 20, 2012, 09:14:51 AM
The new dictator's wife could easily be less hot than the current one.  :hmm:

I think that's a pretty safe bet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2012, 06:00:28 AM
Fair enough. But the Libyans needed assistance. In the current situation, I don't think the Syrians want or need a Western deus ex machina to steal their revolutionary success.

That could change of course.

I think the Syrians could use assistance ju8st as much as the Libyans did.  Libya did not feel like there was a deus ex machina - they are still justifiably very proud of winning their own revolution.

And in any event, it certainly appears that the west is assisting in Syria whether or not air power is used.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

DGuller

He must think Allah is responsible for every breath he takes, and thus makes sure to praise him for that every time.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2012, 10:41:16 PM
He must think Allah is responsible for every breath he takes, and thus makes sure to praise him for that every time.

Every breath you take, every move you make, Allah's watching you.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2012, 10:41:16 PM

I think he caught wind of how much that annoys us here at Languish, and is doing it just to piss us off.  REAL MATURE, SYRIAN REBEL DUDE.