News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

I saw on the news that more Syrian officers, at least one General and a number of soldiers defected to Turkey. Still probably not big numbers but there's more going on which is negative for Assad's government, or so it seems.

Rebels are actively patrolling and controlling areas in Damascus or suburbs; a TV news report was showing them. Syria has reportedly lost a couple thousand troops so far. Looks like Russia is getting more and more pressure as this all drags on and Assad appears to be no closer to ending the revolt, and may be losing more ground. 

I had thought Assad was gaining control and was surprised to see these latest things that seem to show his position worsening. 

DGuller

Once a dictator loses the air of inevitability of his rule, things can go downhill very quickly.  That's why dictators with absolute power are scared shitless of appearing weak.

Darth Wagtaros

He should have either liberalized things a bit or snuck out of the country while he had the chance.  Short of Russia taking him in the only way this will end now is with him against a bullet ridden wall.
PDH!

DGuller

There is no way out for dictators such Assad.  If you start liberalizing things, you show weakness and you're gone.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2012, 12:26:33 PM
There is no way out for dictators such Assad.  If you start liberalizing things, you show weakness and you're gone.
In the long term.  But in some cases it can lead to a gradual decline in power, and retirement to France or something, rather than a bloody mess.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 05, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
In the long term.  But in some cases it can lead to a gradual decline in power, and retirement to France or something, rather than a bloody mess.

They never see that, though.  So many, many dictators have been given the opportunity, or had the means to take the opportunity, to haul ass with the family and suitcases full of cash to another country, but yet they rarely ever do.  They become imbued with their own sense of invincibility through so many years of absolute power and an almost Hitler-like bunker mentality of delusion to the very last, much to their eventual demise.

Assad will most likely die like Gaddafi, or captured, imprisoned and tried like Saddam Hussein or Mubarak.   It's just they way they're built.

Darth Wagtaros

Sadly, correct. Only variation is the amount of people who have to die in the mean time.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Depends if by gone you mean out of power or dead.  Plenty of dictators have handed off power and retired in peace.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2012, 01:25:07 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 05, 2012, 01:18:16 PM

They never see that, though.  So many, many dictators have been given the opportunity, or had the means to take the opportunity, to haul ass with the family and suitcases full of cash to another country, but yet they rarely ever do.  They become imbued with their own sense of invincibility through so many years of absolute power and an almost Hitler-like bunker mentality of delusion to the very last, much to their eventual demise.

Assad will most likely die like Gaddafi, or captured, imprisoned and tried like Saddam Hussein or Mubarak.   It's just they way they're built.

Most importantly...will his wife get out and become the tragic widow, eventually marrying some billionaire...or will the rebels have their way with her. :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 05, 2012, 10:34:55 PM
Most importantly...will his wife get out and become the tragic widow, eventually marrying some billionaire...or will the rebels have their way with her. :(

OK, so I came.

Tamas

The Turkish pilots have been found on the bottom of the sea :(

jimmy olsen

A General of a Republican Guard brigade and one of Assad's personal friends has fled the country.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48087057/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.T_bjSPXpV-g
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2012, 02:17:34 AM
The Turkish pilots have been found on the bottom of the sea :(

:(

I guess the Syrian government and Syrian military didn't feel they were busy enough so decided to poke at Turkey.   :huh:

I doubt it will happen, but if Syria goes too far and provokes Turkey into calling on NATO's Article five, where all member nations come to their aid, that should keep the Syrian government busy enough.