News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Great. more grist for the alt-right "the media is all lies" mill.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on March 04, 2018, 08:31:54 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/image-syrian-boy-desert-un-refugees-tweet

Sorry to be the party pooper

Glad to hear he is with his family.

Still not a very happy situation for a four year old IMO.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

derspiess

Why?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2018, 04:51:14 PM
Why?

Because I have a kid about the same age as the boy in the picture. I was trying to remember if you do as well, but IIRC your youngest is a bit older than that - I was trying to recall by how much.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2018, 07:50:57 AM
Great. more grist for the alt-right "the media is all lies" mill.

It was done by some idiot retweeting something and adding their own fake commentary. Not the media.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

According to the article, the caption was added by a CNN International anchor. So yes, the media.

derspiess

Anyway Jake, my daughter is going on 7 and my son is 10.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2018, 09:58:07 PM
Anyway Jake, my daughter is going on 7 and my son is 10.

May they continue to bring you joy :cheers:

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2018, 09:56:34 PM
According to the article, the caption was added by a CNN International anchor. So yes, the media.

On twitter. Not in an actual report.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2018, 01:06:10 AM

People are confused today and think twitter is a great news source...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2018, 02:30:41 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2018, 01:06:10 AM

People are confused today and think twitter is a great news source...

I think that's an important general point.If we manage to avoid eradicating ourselves as a species for the time being, people in time will learn to handle social media like they used to handle some bloke in the pub telling them something - sure, some people would take the story for granted, but most would keep at least some level of scepticism until they heard the same thing for a news source they trusted.