News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 11, 2016, 10:35:05 PM
I'd like to congratulate Syria and their Russian allies for losing Palmyra to ISIS. Again.

Good job!

Wow, that's a surprise. I figured ISIS in Syria/Iraq was weakening, but they had the strength to retake this city against Russian and Syrian forces.

Zanza

From what I read, the Syrians and Russians are mostly concentrating on fighting the various rebels in the North-West of Syria, not the Islamic State. Perhaps they just don't care too much about Palmyra at the moment and withdrew to fight the rebels elsewhere.

11B4V

Quote from: Zanza on December 12, 2016, 04:24:20 PM
From what I read, the Syrians and Russians are mostly concentrating on fighting the various rebels in the North-West of Syria, not the Islamic State. Perhaps they just don't care too much about Palmyra at the moment and withdrew to fight the rebels elsewhere.

Didn't France do that in europe to fight the Germans in Africa?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuotePalmyra: 'Chemical gas attack' hits IS-held Syrian area

Dozens of people have been killed in air strikes and a suspected gas attack near the Syrian city of Palmyra, monitoring groups say.

The targeted area is controlled by the so-called Islamic State group and has been under heavy bombardment from government-aligned forces.

Dozens of people are said to have been killed during the combined assaults.

IS members recaptured the city on Sunday, hours after Russian air strikes appeared to have driven them back.

Sources in Hama province reported seeing dead bodies with no visible injuries, according to the UK-based group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The death toll was put at at least 40 by one citizens' group in Hama province.

The Syrian government and its Russian backers have previously denied using chemical weapons.

IS was previously driven out of the ancient desert city of Palmyra in March with the support of Russian air strikes, but the jihadist group seized it again in a sudden assault that started last week.

The surprise setback for Syrian government forces came as they and their allies turned their attention to fighting local opposition forces in Aleppo and Damascus.

IS destroyed a number of monuments and beheaded the archaeological director during its 10-month occupation of the Unesco World Heritage site and the adjacent city of Tadmur.

Two 2,000-year-old temples, an arch and funerary towers were left in ruins.

The jihadist group, which has also demolished several pre-Islamic sites in neighbouring Iraq, believes that such structures are idolatrous.

Valmy

I don't get the hand wringing over Aleppo. This war has lasted over five years and something like a half million people have been killed. The only way to stop the killing is to engage in it ourselves in a big way and take responsibility for the outcome, something none of us have the will or desire to do.

'If we had just sent in our militaries and bombed the shit out of Syria and killed thousands of people we could have STOPPED THIS TRAGEDY'

Um yeah.

I get the angst over Aleppo. I get the horror over Aleppo. I just don't get acting like somehow we failed to take compassionate action, that we just stood by and let it happen. Things are not quite so simple.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Agree.  I've kind of become numb to it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I'm curious how a they manage to keep feeding themselves.

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on December 15, 2016, 10:58:57 AM
Agree.  I've kind of become numb to it.

Yeah. I think the whole Aleppo shrill-fest is a propaganda tool to remind the world that when peace finally happens thanks to the Russians, it was because of all the suffering and killing they enacted, not because they are more competent than the US.

FunkMonk

Watching a major power fail in the middle east is kinda entertaining. Now I sort of know how the eurosnobs felt like years ago.

LOL IRAQI FREEDOM LMAOOO
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 15, 2016, 02:17:46 PM
Watching a major power fail in the middle east is kinda entertaining. Now I sort of know how the eurosnobs felt like years ago.

LOL IRAQI FREEDOM LMAOOO

I don't much care for the suffering of the citizens of Aleppo, but the ongoing struggles of the Admiral Kuznetsov brought a smile to me face. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 15, 2016, 02:24:28 PM
Really?

Perhaps I misphrased myself.  I don't enjoy in the least the tragedy of Aleppo.  But seeing the sole Russian aircraft carrier belching smoke, having to be towed into harbour, and ultimately having to station all of it's planes on-shore amused me greatly. :)

Oexmelin

Ok. :mellow:

Really, some days, this forum's morbid fascination with military hardware is fucking disturbing.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 15, 2016, 02:31:17 PM

Really, some days, this forum's morbid fascination with military hardware is fucking disturbing.

I thought he was enjoying Russian failure and incompetence rather than being fascinated with military hardware.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2016, 02:34:45 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 15, 2016, 02:31:17 PM

I thought he was enjoying Russian failure and incompetence rather than being fascinated with military hardware.

Well I do get fascinated by military hardware too.   :blush:  But I don't think anyone, anywhere, is fascinated with the Admiral Kuznetsov.

So yeah - that was more a celebration of Russian incompetence. :punk: