Look at that hipster, in that mirror...(with working poll)

Started by Eddie Teach, May 20, 2012, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of the songs on the list do you recognize without looking up?

All of them!
1 (2.9%)
Most (15+)
1 (2.9%)
Half or more
4 (11.4%)
Several
2 (5.7%)
A couple
11 (31.4%)
I just heard this hip new song about shaking it like a polaroid picture
4 (11.4%)
Those kids and their rock & roll music :ultra:
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

katmai

Yeah it was the hit of the summer last year. DSB fails again.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 06:54:11 AM
That list makes my iPod hurt.  It's quite happy living in 1991, thank you.

Lol, dude is fine with August, decided not to inquire about everything after.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2012, 09:32:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 08:24:46 AM
What about gay hipsters?
Gay hipsters are like trainee bears.  They've got the facial hair, the love of checked shirts and flannel trousers.  It's kind of disconcerting.
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on May 22, 2012, 09:48:43 PM

Pfft.  Like you're ever likely to encounter a "real" hipster outside of Williamsburg or Portland anyway. :rolleyes:
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

To be fair he's from New Jersey.  Last summer's like tomorrow there :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 03:01:06 PM
I don't think Gotye's song can really even count as hipster anymore. 220mil youtube views?
This.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 22, 2012, 02:55:27 PM
I seem to be the only one who'll admit to recognizing them all (then again, I have to sell them all).  Not going to actively listen to any of this list, though.

Also, the current "real" hipster hits are Somebody I Used to Know by Gotye and Pumped Up Kicks by Fun.

You're thinking of that horrible "We Are Young" thing, which is one of the most pandering pieces of shit I've ever heard (I will concede it's catchy); to the extent that I think I've already heard it on a Goddamned car commercial.  "Pumped Up Kicks" is Foster the People, and, like that whole album, rather good (and "Houdini" is the shit).  "Pumped Up Kicks" is not, however, nearly as good a school shooting song as "I Don't Like Mondays," the Bob Geldoff/Bon Jovi version of which, of course, remains the gold standard by which all kids-gettin'-capped songs must be judged.

Oh, and Gotye and HOTTEST WHITE WOMAN ALIVE Kimbra's "Somebody I Used to Know" is pretty awesome.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on May 22, 2012, 11:46:02 PM
I don't think Gotye's song can really even count as hipster anymore. 220mil youtube views?
This.

I'll concur, reluctantly.  You must admit it does sound like the sort of music some arty dork would listen to.
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

Not really.  I think "hipster" has gone mainstream to the extent that Indie has crowded out almost everything that it originally rebelled against.  Where is Nickelback these days?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Yeah once your song appears on Glee it is all over.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 22, 2012, 11:41:05 PM

Pfft.  Like you're ever likely to encounter a "real" hipster outside of Williamsburg or Portland anyway. :rolleyes:

Again shows how clueless you are.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ideologue on May 22, 2012, 11:47:30 PM
You're thinking of that horrible "We Are Young" thing, which is one of the most pandering pieces of shit I've ever heard (I will concede it's catchy); to the extent that I think I've already heard it on a Goddamned car commercial.  "Pumped Up Kicks" is Foster the People, and, like that whole album, rather good (and "Houdini" is the shit).  "Pumped Up Kicks" is not, however, nearly as good a school shooting song as "I Don't Like Mondays," the Bob Geldoff/Bon Jovi version of which, of course, remains the gold standard by which all kids-gettin'-capped songs must be judged.

Oh, and Gotye and HOTTEST WHITE WOMAN ALIVE Kimbra's "Somebody I Used to Know" is pretty awesome.

I already conceded that one a little ways back, but yeah, notice I got the Gotye right and the other two wrong. :P
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Incidently, "We are young" made me think of this mediocre song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUE4oDunYkc which still manages to be better than the current hit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Kimbra is the hottest woman alive? Thank God I'm gay!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?