Look at that hipster, in that mirror...(with working poll)

Started by Eddie Teach, May 20, 2012, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of the songs on the list do you recognize without looking up?

All of them!
1 (2.9%)
Most (15+)
1 (2.9%)
Half or more
4 (11.4%)
Several
2 (5.7%)
A couple
11 (31.4%)
I just heard this hip new song about shaking it like a polaroid picture
4 (11.4%)
Those kids and their rock & roll music :ultra:
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Habsburg

Seven, and I'm the same age as Legends Swinton and Clooney!  :smarty:

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2012, 02:20:52 PM
Pretty sure you are supposed to despise anybody who makes it onto the Billboard top 20 if you are a hipster.  Or used to like them but then they got lame.
No.  In my experience of our London hipsters Beyonce's big, Gaga used to be big and they're too cool to like Radiohead.

That's the problem with hipsters, they're fickle.  No loyalty to build a career on.  Gay fans, on the other hand, will buy whatever shit you produce - look at Cher.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

I don't think I've ever heard a hipster argue against OK Computer.  "I like their earlier work" doesn't fit exactly because Pablo Honey sucks, but it's more or less true here. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on May 21, 2012, 11:45:34 PM
I don't think I've ever heard a hipster argue against OK Computer.  "I like their earlier work" doesn't fit exactly because Pablo Honey sucks, but it's more or less true here.
That's basically the hipster-Radiohead relationship.  They even get annoyed at Thom Yorke popping up on Flying Lotus albums.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Yeah.  OK Computer is pretty foundational, though.  Up there with In The Aeroplane Over the Sea and Is This It.

CountDeMoney

Well, when you're talking about something released in 1997, yeah, "I like their earlier work" does fit.

Josquius

Hipsters don't like radiohead? Dammit they're worse than I thought.
I don't think they'd like Beyonce though, or much pop really, especially mainstream stuff. Even I as a genuine indie-sort can't abide that kind of thing generally.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 12:49:17 AM

Well, when you're talking about something released in 1997, yeah, "I like their earlier work" does fit.
Pablo Honey.   :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2012, 11:40:27 PM
No.  In my experience of our London hipsters Beyonce's big, Gaga used to be big and they're too cool to like Radiohead.

That's the problem with hipsters, they're fickle.  No loyalty to build a career on.  Gay fans, on the other hand, will buy whatever shit you produce - look at Cher.

What about gay hipsters?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on May 22, 2012, 08:21:12 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 12:49:17 AM

Pablo Honey.   :contract:

There was nothing inherently wrong with that album, and you know it.

Grey Fox

3 songs, Lady Gaga & Adele. I recognize most of the artists tho, I am not one to remember song title tho.

I barely listen to any music not made kids these days anyway. I've grown into a talk radio guy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 08:24:46 AM
What about gay hipsters?
Gay hipsters are like trainee bears.  They've got the facial hair, the love of checked shirts and flannel trousers.  It's kind of disconcerting.

My experience of a gay hipstery bar is that the love of occasional kitsch outweighs the need to be cool :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!