Look at that hipster, in that mirror...(with working poll)

Started by Eddie Teach, May 20, 2012, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of the songs on the list do you recognize without looking up?

All of them!
1 (2.9%)
Most (15+)
1 (2.9%)
Half or more
4 (11.4%)
Several
2 (5.7%)
A couple
11 (31.4%)
I just heard this hip new song about shaking it like a polaroid picture
4 (11.4%)
Those kids and their rock & roll music :ultra:
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

garbon

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2012, 02:06:50 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2012, 11:00:02 PM
I recognize none of those songs. Heck, I recognize less than half the artists on the list.  :huh:

This.

I mean with just the set below, you get to almost half the artists on that list:

Radiohead
Rihanna
Beyonce
Chris Brown
Adele
Lady Gaga
Jay-Z & Kanye West
Britney Spears
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 21, 2012, 12:42:24 PM
He lies. If he heard them, he'd recognize them if nothing else from being in the room while Riley and I watch Glee. :P

He stays in the room?  You have a much higher tolerance than I do Max :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

So are you supposed to be a hipster if you recognize the Billboard top 20 or if you don't?

Valmy

I am not familiar with those songs titles but I might recognize some of them.  The following artists I do not recognize: M83, Pistol Annies, DJ Khaled, SBTRKT, Drake, Nicola Roberts, The Joy Formidable, Frank Ocean, and Kelly Rowland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2012, 02:18:52 PM
So are you supposed to be a hipster if you recognize the Billboard top 20 or if you don't?

Pretty sure you are supposed to despise anybody who makes it onto the Billboard top 20 if you are a hipster.  Or used to like them but then they got lame.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2012, 02:11:06 PM

I mean with just the set below, you get to almost half the artists on that list:

Rihanna
Radiohead
Beyonce
Lady Gaga
Jay-Z & Kanye West
Nicki Minaj

These are the names I recognize. And Nicki Minaj only makes the list because I saw her mentioned by you on here. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2012, 02:27:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2012, 02:11:06 PM

Rihanna
Radiohead
Beyonce
Lady Gaga
Jay-Z & Kanye West
Nicki Minaj

These are the names I recognize. And Nicki Minaj only makes the list because I saw her mentioned by you on here. :P

Oh wow, I didn't know Britney Spears wasn't a known name.  Chris Brown is a talentless hack and known most recently for beating up Rihanna.  Adele has been dominating the airwaves since the Grammy's this year. I know mongers must know of her as she has to be playing non-stop in her native England.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2012, 02:19:52 PM
I am not familiar with those songs titles but I might recognize some of them.  The following artists I do not recognize: M83, Pistol Annies, DJ Khaled, SBTRKT, Drake, Nicola Roberts, The Joy Formidable, Frank Ocean, and Kelly Rowland.

Kelly Rowland is a former member of Destiny's Child.  Drake is like Nicki, one of the rappers under Lil Wayne's crew.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2012, 02:20:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2012, 02:18:52 PM

Pretty sure you are supposed to despise anybody who makes it onto the Billboard top 20 if you are a hipster.  Or used to like them but then they got lame.

Or like them in an ironic fashion. ;)

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2012, 02:36:27 PM
Oh wow, I didn't know Britney Spears wasn't a known name.  Chris Brown is a talentless hack and known most recently for beating up Rihanna.  Adele has been dominating the airwaves since the Grammy's this year. I know mongers must know of her as she has to be playing non-stop in her native England.

Oops, I did i again. Britney should be on that list. Though I wasn't aware that she came out with anything new.

I just don't listen to radio all that much, and when I do it's either info radio or classical music, or some station that plays stuff that's 10+ years old. That is, if I don't just turn to Last.FM. And I don't follow celebrity news in general.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Chris Brown is a talentless hack and known most recently for beating up Rihanna. 

Also he did the song they danced to in that one wedding video.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2012, 11:00:02 PM
I recognize none of those songs. Heck, I recognize less than half the artists on the list.  :huh:

Ditto.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2012, 02:40:03 PM

Oops, I did i again. Britney should be on that list. Though I wasn't aware that she came out with anything new.

Fair enough. Yeah I was just putting together a list of names that I thought people would know, regardless of new music or what have you. :)

garbon

On my way home I put on a peppy playlist. Out popped Countdown and Niggas in Paris. Heard Rihanna, Drake, Gaga, Jay-Z, Kanye and Beyonce. :lol: