News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

This Facebook Thing.

Started by mongers, May 18, 2012, 05:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Habsburg on May 18, 2012, 08:04:32 PM
$38.00 purchase price and after it's first day of trading, closes at $38.23.

Given the level of hype, I'd say a bust debut.
Longer term we will see.

I haven't been on FB in months.  I like Mongers idea to close my account tonight.  Really don't like the platform.

:cheers:

My last 'status update' :

QuoteF******* Facebook Friday - now that today's IPO estimates the 'values' of mine and everyone else's facebook accounts at $115 each, I feel the need to withdraw this product, ie me, from the market place.

So if like me, you've had somewhat mixed feelings about using the website and the positives, some types of social connection, have been balanced by the negatives, loss of privacy and the wrong sort of on site interaction, why not take this opportunity to close your account and grab back those supposed 405 minutes a month each of us give to it ?

* It's not what you think, farewell doesn't have 7 letters.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2012, 08:22:46 PM
FB or it's next evolution is here to stay. You are all a bunch of Luddites.

Not a Luddite, just tired of hearing boring shit my cousins and friends from high school have to say.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Lame Mongers.  Don't be a drama queen about it.

Just stop using it.

Anyway I would never buy Facebook because I never invest in company's where I am not really clear on how they make their money.  From what I have heard Facebook ads do not really generate sales for advertisers...so...yeah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2012, 08:47:32 PM
How far are you two sitting apart from each other while typing messages back and forth? :D

About two feet. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 18, 2012, 08:27:20 PM
I just don't see how it can remain a growing cash cow over the long term.  I mean, what's its product?  Friendship?

Advertising?  I saw a poll this morning on one of the cable talking heads shows; only 17% of Facebook users actually utilize the banner ads and links for products.  That's not enough.  And if they try to push more adverts on people, people will tune out;  they want to see each others' retarded kids' pics, not links to Amazon.
Their user base is 900 million and like half of that logs on every day. 17% of that is 75-80 million people. That's a lot.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2012, 09:21:31 PMTheir user base is 900 million and like half of that logs on every day. 17% of that is 75-80 million people. That's a lot.
I log on every day just to see if I've any messages or invites - which is rare (<_<) - most of my friends barely use it either.  It's good for organising events or mass messages because you don't always have everyone's e-mails.  But normally you need to send a text round anyway just to make sure people check their Facebook.  But I don't really use it any more, not like I or most of my friends used to anyway.  Their phone and ipad app are ad free. 

In terms of compulsive social media I'm all about Twitter which I absolutely love and check constantly.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Longer term we will see.

I haven't been on FB in months.  I like Mongers idea to close my account tonight.  Really don't like the platform.

It actually closed at 38.01. The other 22 cents came in the after hours. And yeah, it's a bust as an IPO obviously. Took down Pandora, Zynga, LinkedIn and the others badly too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

$104bn is a lot for a company with only $500m of profits that already has such a high market penetration.

Zanza

I don't really see what kind of additional revenue channels they might open. I don't think they make much money on my membership as I have disabled apps and I have never clicked an ad there either.

The vaunted "they know about you" lure for their ads doesn't seem to work for me either. Right now I am offered sneakers, an MBA program, pudding, time management training, vacation on some German island and a car. That seems completely random and none of that is in any way linked to my interests or Facebook posts.

Lettow77

I've planned to cancel my facebook account for some time. However, I am still obligated to keep it- I have no phone and my family doesn't know where I live. I need some method of knowing when my grandfather dies so I can pull out my hair and lament.

Once the patriarch of the family is gone, I can close the chapter of my life in which I know my family, and end my availability through my last remaining means of contact. I will disappear to the east.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Longer term we will see.

And it only stayed there as one of its underwriters - Morgan Stanley, was forced to buy up shares.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on May 19, 2012, 03:02:47 AM
I don't really see what kind of additional revenue channels they might open. I don't think they make much money on my membership as I have disabled apps and I have never clicked an ad there either.

The vaunted "they know about you" lure for their ads doesn't seem to work for me either. Right now I am offered sneakers, an MBA program, pudding, time management training, vacation on some German island and a car. That seems completely random and none of that is in any way linked to my interests or Facebook posts.

Yeah, I'm wondering what they have planned on that front. Seems rather weak at the moment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I've also noticed that facebook is now starting to get as bad as myspace for me on the front that I'm getting lots of spam facebook invites.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2012, 07:31:09 AM
I've also noticed that facebook is now starting to get as bad as myspace for me on the front that I'm getting lots of spam facebook invites.

:blush:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon