News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hawaii bans plastic bags at checkout

Started by jimmy olsen, May 16, 2012, 06:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on May 17, 2012, 08:39:49 AM
At worst this is gesture politics, at best a very marginal issue; even bottled designer water has a magnitude or two more waste involved in its sale and distribution than this.

:lol:  This could be said about pretty much every issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2012, 10:08:17 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2012, 09:05:26 AM
Bottled water is horrific stuff for the environment.

Not so much the water as the bottles.
Bottled water bottle aren't as harmful to the economy as plastic grocery bags, though.  They are much more likely to get recycled, and even if not recycled, less likely to fuck up the animal life in the environment in which they are left.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on May 17, 2012, 10:40:05 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2012, 10:08:17 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2012, 09:05:26 AM
Bottled water is horrific stuff for the environment.

Not so much the water as the bottles.
Bottled water bottle aren't as harmful to the economy as plastic grocery bags, though.  They are much more likely to get recycled, and even if not recycled, less likely to fuck up the animal life in the environment in which they are left.
I believe the bottles can be shredded, processed, and used to make carpeting and such.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Well, at least they're not strangling waterfowl like the old six-pack rings.

Then again, if a duck is choking himself out with with a water bottle around his neck, well, that's a pretty retarded duck.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 17, 2012, 10:41:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XijqRo180fw

What would Mother Earth say?!  :cry:

She's probably horrified and offended that Bette Midler got cast to play her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 17, 2012, 10:42:03 AM
I believe the bottles can be shredded, processed, and used to make carpeting and such.

Plastic bags can be recycled as well, but one doesn't find the recycling containers for bags as common as those for bottles.

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 17, 2012, 10:42:03 AM

Or my cell phones- a couple of ones I've had over the last couple of years: Motorola W233 Renew, Motorola Citrus
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: mongers on May 17, 2012, 08:39:49 AM
At worst this is gesture politics, at best a very marginal issue; even bottled designer water has a magnitude or two more waste involved in its sale and distribution than this.

It's not marginal at all. Plastic bags are amongst the most quoted items in beach cleanup campaigns all over the world.

The Larch

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 17, 2012, 08:19:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2012, 07:37:00 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2012, 06:33:09 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 16, 2012, 07:14:53 PM
So they are gonna force people to bring their own bags or they gonna use paper and fuck up the forests some more?

At least you can reforest; you can't replastic.  You see the size of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch lately?  Twice the size of fucking Texas.  And there ain't no trees trunks floating there.
Ugh, didn't know about this 'till now.

Fucking horrible. :bleeding:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch
Its been in the news for years dude.

Yup, it's been floating around (pun intended) for the last five years or so, even if the first reports regarding garbage patches come from the 70s.

The Larch

Btw, it's not random that Hawaii is amongst the pioneers on action regarding marine litter, as it already has a tradition on awareness on the issue due to being right in the middle of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Some beaches there get regularly drowned by debris from there, check for instance Kamilo Beach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamilo_Beach

It was no wonder that Honolulu was the place where the global plastic industry made a formal declaration last year to search for solutions for the issue:

http://www.plasticseurope.org/documents/document/20111215093052-2011_12_13_joint_declaration_marine_litter.pdf

Ed Anger

I want to know why this garbage patch hasn't been annexed yet and resettled with Mexicans.

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2012, 07:29:05 PM
I want to know why this garbage patch hasn't been annexed yet and resettled with Mexicans.

It's not really suitable for colonization. :p

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on May 17, 2012, 07:30:25 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2012, 07:29:05 PM

It's not really suitable for colonization. :p

After the Mexicans get dumped on it, it would be the garbage and oil patch.