George Lucas Does Something Likeable For a Change: Revenge on Rich Neighbors

Started by garbon, May 13, 2012, 08:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I was surprised how empty Marin county was when I went through with Katmai a few years back, it is so close to SF. But then highway 1 seems to avoid the population centres in the county.

CountDeMoney

PDH

There are no population centers there.  Marin has "special financial arrangements" that date way back to keep the riff-raff out.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2012, 08:54:37 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 15, 2012, 08:53:17 AM
But then highway 1 seems to avoid the population centres in the county.

It was designed that way.

....and it works well, a fantastic drive  :cool:

garbon

Quote from: PDH on May 15, 2012, 08:51:31 AM
There are jobs.  Not all of Marin is Tiburon.  Along Hwy 1 there is the normal California type light highway parasitic economy.
I just looked up where his ranch is. Is that really that fancy right there? Given how wooded/hilly it is, will the neighbors even see the poor people?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2012, 08:59:49 AM
I just looked up where his ranch is. Is that really that fancy right there? Given how wooded/hilly it is, will the neighbors even see the poor people?

California does obstructionist really well though - look up some of the Coastal Commission laws.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2012, 08:59:49 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 15, 2012, 08:51:31 AM
There are jobs.  Not all of Marin is Tiburon.  Along Hwy 1 there is the normal California type light highway parasitic economy.

They could smell them. :x

Josquius

QuoteThere are jobs.  Not all of Marin is Tiburon.  Along Hwy 1 there is the normal California type light highway parasitic economy.
Is this road clinging sprawl a particularly Californian thing?
It's always struck me as quite generally American but then California is the main example we see of the US.

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2012, 07:54:30 AM
Marin County is not London. Far, far, FAR from it.
Marin county is mostly just little high priced bedroom communities. There is one "large" town (Novato) that has all of 50,000 people in it.

I am sure there is some need for low income workers in Marin (hell, I lived there before I got my degree, and worked as a waiter in a restaurant) but it's nothing like London where you need a lot of them.

The idea that there is any *need* for more low income housing in Marin County is completely unsupported. Perhaps there is, I don't know - but Lucas wanting to screw over his neighbors is certainly not evidence that such a need exists.
London is just the famous example which is regarded as a national problem. The same happens in small, wealthy towns too.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.