George Lucas Does Something Likeable For a Change: Revenge on Rich Neighbors

Started by garbon, May 13, 2012, 08:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/george-lucas-grady-ranch/7883

QuoteGeorge Lucas' rich neighbors don't want him building a movie studio in their backyard. His response is the best thing he's done in years.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, for four decades Lucas has owned a large swath of land in Marin County in the North San Francisco Bay and has spent the past few years trying to transform the ranch on it into a massive, nearly 300,000 square foot, state-of-the-art movie studio complete with day care center, restaurant, gym and a 200-car garage. His neighbors, however, have rejected it every step of the way. Despite the promise of bringing $300 million worth of economic activity to the area, the already-well off neighbors are worried about years' worth of construction activity and the additional foot traffic it will bring into their neighborhood once completed.

The local homeowners association has been such a thorn in Lucas' side that he's decided to abandon the studio construction entirely, issuing this official statement about Lucasfilm's withdrawal of the new studio:

The level of bitterness and anger expressed by the homeowners in Lucas Valley has convinced us that, even if we were to spend more time and acquire the necessary approvals, we would not be able to maintain a constructive relationship with our neighbors.

We love working and living in Marin, but the residents of Lucas Valley have fought this project for 25 years, and enough is enough.  Marin is a bedroom community and is committed to building subdivisions, not business.  Many years ago, we tried to stop the Lucas Valley Estates project from being built, but we failed, and we now have a subdivision on our doorstep.

So what is George Lucas going to do with his property now that he's tired of his rich neighbors putting up a not-in-my-backyard stink? He wants to transform the property into low-income housing, naturally, ending their official statement with this zinger, "If everyone feels that housing is less impactful on the land, then we are hoping that people who need it the most will benefit."

He's working with the Marin Community Foundation to instead construct affordable housing for either low-income families or seniors living on small, fixed incomes. In order to smooth along the development, he's already given them all of the pricey technical studies and land surveys Lucasfilm spent years conducting. And we think that's just great. Because if there's one thing rich people will hate more than having movie magic made in their backyard, it's poor people moving in.

Mr. Lucas, we may hate you for turning your back on the original trilogy, but our hat is off to you on this one. Well played.

So I disagree with the headline as I think this is a rather jerk move. After all, why would people in Marin want more jobs in the area / a movie studio for tourists? When taking his ball home, apparently Lucas thought it fitting to take a big dump as well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Isn't the whole point of this that it was a jerk move? Few things make commoners as happy as laughing as the misfortunes of the wealthy.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

dps

Seems to me that if he's developing low-income housing because he thinks it's a good thing to do, that's fine.  If he's doing it to be spiteful towards his neighbors, well, then it's just spiteful. 

Neil

They fucked with his plans, so now he's fucking with theirs.  Good luck with the property values on your McMansions when they're being robbed twice a year by darkies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

Quote from: dps on May 13, 2012, 09:16:03 PM
Seems to me that if he's developing low-income housing because he thinks it's a good thing to do, that's fine.  If he's doing it to be spiteful towards his neighbors, well, then it's just spiteful.

It can be a good thing and spiteful.

Who cares? It's funny.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on May 13, 2012, 09:47:06 PM

Who cares? It's funny.

This.  He might be doing it for the wrong motives, but low income housing is definitely a good move.

And if his neighbors are offended at the idea of living beside poor people, all the better.

[My old house in Whitehorse had several subsidized housing apartments 5-6 houses down.  I never had a problem with that.]
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I'd wager Marin would be a horrible place for a poor person to live - what with lack of jobs and shoddy public transport.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

It's a dick move, and out of proportion to his plans (understandably) getting frustrated by his neighbours. 

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Who cares? It's funny.
Agree, 100%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Who cares? It's funny.

Bingo.

If only more of us could have that kind of leverage against dickhead neighborhood associations.

The Brain

If he wanted to piss off people couldn't he just make another movie?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2012, 09:51:35 PM
[My old house in Whitehorse had several subsidized housing apartments 5-6 houses down.  I never had a problem with that.]

The only difference between Lucas' construction project and low income housing development is that with the construction project, the noise eventually stops.

BANG BANG BANG at construction project =/ BANG BANG BANG OH MAH BABY DONE BEEN SHOT OH LOADY LOADY LOADY WHY JESUS at low income housing development