And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawyers are scum, example 745632

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2012, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2012, 12:05:08 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 15, 2012, 12:01:28 AM
One more reason I could never be lawyer.

Not smart enough?

:console:

Funny, us Ukrainians are usually pretty damn smart...
you must know different Ukrainians then I know : P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

I thought the purposive approach to statutory interpretation held sway in the States. If so, surely this is a pretty easy bit of interpretation.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Gups on May 15, 2012, 02:59:37 AM
I thought the purposive approach to statutory interpretation held sway in the States. If so, surely this is a pretty easy bit of interpretation.

It does, but even a strict constructionist not on Romney's legal team wouldn't normally try to make this argument.  The precedent would be disastrous, since Congress would spend even MORE time fighting on the proper wording, and all a plaintiff would have to do to invalidate quite a few laws would be to hire a language expert.
Experience bij!

Malthus

I can't follow the argument without the full text, but if the prohibition is against spending money for "the purpose of influencing an election", why isn't it a good argument that spending money for some other purpose is okay? The fancy-dancy common law latin phrase is "expressio unius est exclusio alterius" ("the express mention of one thing excludes all others"). That is, if you expressly state X is prohibited, only X is prohibited unless you make in clear in the statute that X is only an example of the sort of thing that is prohibited.

In any event, the article is silly. Use of simple words can often lead to ambiguous meanings, where clarity is required. I have a case like that right now. 

The issue is the test for approving a plant. The statute states the test as follows:

Quote(3)  No permit shall be issued by the Director unless,
(a) in the opinion of the Director, the plant is necessary and desirable, having regard to the needs of the producers in the locality in which it is proposed to locate the plant and to the facilities of the existing plants in operation;

The question being - does the director have to have "regard" to the needs only of the producers, in the context established by the existing facilities, or does the director have to balance the interests of the producers against the interests of processors (who own the existing plants)? The "and too" seems to indicate the former.

Somewhat surprisingly, in previous administrative tribunal hearings the tribunals have all opted for the latter interpretation.

This makes a huge difference, as the owners of existing plants will of course always be negatively impacted by issuing a permit to a new competitor.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 14, 2012, 10:00:03 PM
*sighs* Every word matters.

Yes, it does.  Legal battles are like dogfights, and every word can determine the initiative.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2012, 12:14:40 AM
I think we all know in terms of raw intelligence DG is way smarter than any lawyer here with the possible exception of Joan.  Math > application of rules and policy at best and bullshit at worst.

He has a lack of street smarts that is noteworthy even by Languish standards, however.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 15, 2012, 08:47:51 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2012, 12:14:40 AM
I think we all know in terms of raw intelligence DG is way smarter than any lawyer here with the possible exception of Joan.  Math > application of rules and policy at best and bullshit at worst.

He has a lack of street smarts that is noteworthy even by Languish standards, however.
:yes:  :cry:

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2012, 10:24:19 PM
Any ambiguity in language needs be resolved in favour of the accused.  I thought you, Tim, the big civil libertarian, would appreciate that principle. :rolleyes:

(that is in fact a stupid rule of interpretation - a law means what it means)
This is why laws need to be replaced with computer code, so there is no ambiguity.